Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best shot you ever pulled off while hunting :eek: , or, what was your worst blown shot :oops: . This should be interesting. I'll start off with my worst shot, that turned into one of my luckiest.

I was hunting on a mountain side in Western Maine when I heard a deer trotting toward me. I quickly got behind a large poplar tree as the sounds got closer and closer. When the deer stopped, I slowly peeked around the tree and standing directly toward me, but looking away, stood a 10 pt. buck only 20 yards away. I slowly raised my 760 Carbine and put the crosshairs in the middle of the chest and squeezed one off. The deer immediately spun around and took off running hard. The buck was running through the trees and at about 75-80 yards I was able to get off another shot as the deer was in the middle of a jump over a blow-down. The deer dropped on the spot-shot through the back of the neck. When I got up to him, I saw that my first shot was a complete miss...standing still at 20 yards. To this day I still can't figure out how I blew that one. But, I'm glad I got lucky on the second shot. That buck field dressed at 237 pounds.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmm best is a tough one because every successful shot is memorable for different reasons but I'll say a long bomb shot with my buddys rifle on my first ever deer hunt. It wasn't a great shot and it was a tiny buck but I got him and it was the start of this addiction I have with hunting. That one shot got me hooked on hunting. Worst shot, I've obviously missed some nice animals like everyone else but the worst shots to me are the ones you hit the animal but never find the animal. It's the worst feeling as a hunter and makes me sick, but it does happen to everyone. You always make every effort to find it and hope it lives but to me that is undoubtably the worst shot. Fortunately it hasn't happened very often but it has happened.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oops my mistake I thought it said worst shot not worst miss, worst miss would be this buck I rattled in from across the field. I guess buck fever took over because he actually let me empty my quiver and didn't run away. When the dust settled there were 4 arrows on the ground and a buck walking away laughing at me. He let me get four shots off and I missed every time, that was pretty bad but it was my first year archery hunting and the shots were a little long.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
One of my best shots deer hunting was probably my first year using a high-powered and getting to hunt rather than just watching dad do it... Our buddy had just fired a shot a couple hundred yards away in the bush, so we got out of our tree stand and walked towards him. Soon we saw him coming towards us looking for his deer and pointing near us to where it was. The deer hopped up about 30 yards from me and darted through the bush. I aimed and fired as quick as I could, then right after my dad fired a shot and the deer dropped. Having found my .223 bullet in the hide it turned out I got him right in the heart. My dad hit the lungs more or less, and I can't remember where our buddy hit him, but it wasn't good. As if it wasn't enough that the poor deer got shot by all three of us, we also found an arrow wound on his leg where our other buddy had hit it with his bow a few weeks prior.

Another best shot would be on a crow with a .17HMR. It was my first time shooting at any animal with it. It was up in a tree and I laid prone with a bi-pod. One shot which I compensated for quite a bit vertically and horizontally as there was a broad-side wind, and it dropped from the tree. After pacing we found it to be a good 350 yards. The crow wasn't dead though I had to chase him down to finish him off.

I don't have any worst shot stories cause I never miss. :lol: But I have some fails to mention. One time I was sitting on a milk crate in the bush, and looking behind me I saw something between 2 trees in the distance that I thought kinda looked like a deer. I was looking through my scope now and again, but over a good 10 minutes it wasn't moving one bit, it stayed exactly the same, so I figured it wasn't anything. Eventually I got up and walked that way and once I got a bit closer I saw that thing move and it was a very nice 8pt with chocolatey brown antlers. I tried to take aim but couldn't stay still enough and he ran off. The next day I helped another hunter load that buck into his truck.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice shooting my friend, especially on that crow. WOW! You're fortunate that wounded crow didn't turn on you and try to peck you to death. That would have been a tough one to explain. :lol:

·
Registered
869 Posts
My worst shot: This past season for the first time in my life I missed a shot on a buck. I didn't "Miss" per say, But I caught a branch. The buck was bedded down under a single jackpine in a section of cut, about 120yrds from me. He had no clue I was there so I slowly took off my pack, got my monopod to the right height and rested the crosshairs on him, got my breathing right etc. After watching him for what felt like forever the wind changed direction and he got my scent, He stood up and looked in my general direction. Held my breath, crosshairs on shoulder, boom, he runs like a madman, tail down. Go up to where he was bedded, no blood, look at his tracks in the snow....no blood, look on the buckbrush around his tracks....no blood. Then I come up to a 6x6 batch of junipers and I can tell by his tracks he jumpedOVER the whole bush at that point I know I missed him but still followed his tracks to make sure. I go back to where I shot, Bring out the range finder to double check the range, as I'm trying to range it my range finder keeps reading "11yards.....Sure enough im looking through the rangefinder and there is a thick chunk of buckbrush snapped in half....Took the rifle to the pits the next day it was shooting fine, wasnt the end of the world because I had already got a buck in muzzle but still demoralizing at first when you realized you missed an animal esp when I had lots of time to get my act together.

Best shot: One of my first bucks ever, Was walking on a main road where I hunt to hook up with my dad for lunch and to try a different spot in the evening. Im walking, not really making a great effort to be overly quiet. sure enough I see a buck moving through some mixed brush around 75yrds off the road and RIGHT when I saw him he looked at my and I sumg up my gun the second my crosshairs found his shoulder I squeezed off a round and he was in the dirt. Turns out my dad was just ahead of me on the road and watched it happen and said it looked like I didnt even aim. also said I manipulated my bolt back on my rifle with the gun still pointed in the direction of the animal, That part I dont even remember but I guess its all muscle memory happens to me in muzzloader after I shoot to, dont even remember reloading.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Best shot would be 400 yds on a young buck on a cool day with like no wind. I did a lot of practice that year up to 500 yds, and it came in handy. I was sitting on a small hill, leaned up against an oak tree, with my bi pod in between a split in the tree, and it gave me a rock solid rest.
Worst miss would be a new spot I found, hiding under a pine tree watching a clearing. I just got there, set up my bipod, took out my doe call, bleated on it once to make sure it worked, then I took out my buck call, honked on that one once, yup, still works. I was reaching for my binos in my pocket when I looked up and see a buck about 175 yds away, looking around. Wow, that was fast! Put my gun up, squeeze the trigger, Boom. Buck is still standing there, looking around. I can't believe I missed, so I look around, and see a 2" branch 3 feet in front of me chewed up beyond repair. I reload, move the bipod over an inch or two, and take home some very excellent steak!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's just amazing how those tree branches can jump right in front of a high velocity load. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Best shot ...bow: 2 Robin Hoods in one week last year

Worst shot ...bow: Forgot to place arrow totaly in whisker bisquit.It rested on the side....missed target by about 4 feet....didn't miss my newly sided shed though....

Best shot rifle: Buck running full out through willows and have a 4 foot wide opening.Pick up gun,drop in one shell,up to shoulder and instantly pull trigger.He dropped right in opening and did not move.Sister/boyfriend could not believe it.Stepped out at 180 steps.Lucky lucky shot in the neck.Nice 5x5 mounted in my basement.

Worst shot rifle:First year hunting (15)pushing bush and dad tells me to make sure that to lead deer when they are running.Monster buck comes running out at 30 yards so I lead him by a foot......miss....he makes a half circle around me so I lead him 2 feet......starts running away....lead him 10 feet......running farther....empty gun on him......Uncle comes running and sees (and he still tells the story today) a MONSTER whitetail running 1/4 mile away.Picture of that bucks rack is still embedded in my brain....Did learn that you don't lead a deer at 30 yards though.....lmaofffffff...

·
Registered
611 Posts
last year (2011) i camped out in the bush for deer rifle season.... day one morning saw alot of does and spikes and forkers that i passed on, same evening i went to a spot i know and laid my gun down and started rattlin... i didn't even rattle 30 seconds and from behind me there was a snort. I spin and there was (i swear ta gawd) a 180 about twenty yards that ran in to fight and was so shocked to see me as i was standing there like an idiot with two antlers in my hands...... i thu them down and grabbed the rifle but he was gone, What a sad sight.....it was a massive buck. So im standing there shaking like a leaf and it circles around and i see it passind thu the heavy trees. I shot a friggin tree.... deer ran and that was the end of it......i dont have him on camera yet but i still think he is there this year......

·
Registered
339 Posts
My worst miss will be my next one. I have been able to pull off some goods ones but a few stand out. A relative complained to me about all the sparrows he had in his sheds. So one evening I went over to do a little volunteer community service. Many of the birds will position themselves so you can not see them, or maybe a beak or tail feather. The trick here is to, using a pellut gun to deflect the pellet off a neighbouring board to get the bird without damaging any roofing tin or other material. This I was able to do many, many times. In speaking to the relative later he said that of the tresspassers that did escape none returned. (there could be a leason here hunters) Good idea to use safety glasses when shooting pellet guns in a building. Many others involving varmints around the farm and hunting but too much typing required.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Worst miss, well I didn't miss per say... I spent two hours sneaking to the edge of a little bluff, maybe ten acres of willows and stunted poplars in the middle of nowhere... get set up perfectly with the wind in my face and a view of three sides of this bluff... I sit for about two hours and as its starting to get dark a pick up the horns and tickle them together a few times mixing in a couple of grunts... It doesn't take long and this picture perfect 5X5 probably in the high 150's sneaks out at fifty yards... I raise the muzzleloader take careful aim and.... CLICK.... Re-cock the hammer and CLICK... the buck wants nothing more to do with me and slowly walks back into the bluff... I open my gun to find out I had sat for two hours with no primer on my muzzleloader!!! Never seen that deer again!!!

Best shot is probably 550yd poke on a big doe... I am not a fan of long shots but it was the last day last light and I wasn't getting any closer... Dropped her in her tracks...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I took my buddy hunting the last weekend of deer season in 08. We setup on 2 different runs at about 9 am and planned on meeting at 1 pm for lunch. I wasn't waiting for 1/2 hour when I hear a shot that I figured was a hit. I waited half an hour then realized that he forgot his knife that morning so I decided to run my knife to him to clean his deer and I would go back to my spot till lunch time.

Once I arrived he was telling me about all the deer he had seen (I seen none) and then says and there is another one. He continues to tell me stories and I tell him to get back cause I was going to shoot. He thought I was crazy but, I took aim and shot. The buck jumped into the air and took off into the bush. When I went over there I found my bullet wedge into a 1.5" popular tree with blood on it just above knee high. I figured a bad low shot. I told buddy that we would give the deer a couple hours to stiffen up because I was worried it was a brisket shot. In the mean time my dad showed up. When it was time to track the deer he dropped me off where it was and stepped into the bush to see where the deer went. As I started tracking he told me the deer would be right there (thought he was nuts). Sure enough 50 yards the deer was laying dead shot right through the heart. When I asked him why he said it would be dead right there he said the deer jumped and started walking instead of running. This was before I had a range finder and I paced it out at 460 steps.

My worse miss was I was sitting waiting and a little buck walked out 80 yards away. My first to shots missed completely. He just stood there and starred at me. Finally on the third shot he dropped. I should have let him go. HAHA...

One bad shot I had another time was a nice non-typical walked up behind me through the willows after blowing my doe bleat. 25yard away. I took the shot he dropped got up and took off. I was too confident in my shot so didn't take the insurance shot when he took off. Long story short tracked him for over 2 hours and spent over 2 hours dragging him out of the thickest bush I have ever been in in my life. The bullet hit a willow and deflected and broke his back right infront of the hind quarters.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Best shot: 400 yards at a coyote stalking a cow and calf. 22-250 made me a believer that day!

Worst shot: Maybe second year deer hunting 16 YO. Sitting on a old seeder looking over an alfalfa field. Buck comes out 50 yards to my rt so I rest my gun ALONG the seeder. Scope was clear but put 3 shots into the top of the seeder before I realized why the buck was still standing. He moved out into the field and I got him with the 4 th shot but hunting buddies will not let me forget 15 years later.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Worse shot: Dad and me shooting ducks over decoys (out of my canoe). In comes this bluebill....bang, bang bang goes my semi, bang bang goes dad's s/s, little bugger is still there flapping his wings confused then he just flew away! I'm pretty sure my dog shook her head and rolled her eyes that time.

Best shot, still working on that one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well my best shot I'd say was on a jackrabbit, it was running away from me full tilt about 150yds, I quickly brought my .17hmr up to my shoulder, and placed the shot perfectly behind his. I'll never forget the thump sound it made when it solidly connected. He was in mid bound so he did a spectacular flip and then moved no more.

Not a particularly far shot I know, but it happened so fast and fluid, and I've never heard a thump like that from a .17, so it's my favorite.

As far as a miss goes, I don't really have one. Not that I haven't missed before. Just none that really stand out as the worst.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts