·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is CWD?
What’s the big deal?
Why should I care about CWD?
How should we deal with it?

if you’re asking these questions here’s how to get accurate information.
MWF is hosting a seminar by Darrel Rowledge next week to help you better understand.

https://mwf.mb.ca/event-date/cwd-seminar-with-darrel-rowledge

·
Registered
313 Posts
I logged on to the CWD presentation last night. I found a lot of information presented, most presented during the second half. I'm hoping others stuck around until the end. Thank you to Manitoba Wildlife Federation for organizing that.

When I'm not hunting, I work in a bit of a geeky profession. I asked a few questions about analysis of samples for CWD by private labs last night. I understand the presenter was reluctant to go there as there is a move to pushing government to developing more capacity to conduct analysis and to speed up turnaround times. As an ethical hunter though, I feel like if the CWD situation on Manitoba worsens, I'll have an ethical responsibility to make sure that the meat I process in my home and put on my family's table is "CWD free". So I did some digging of my own. I came up empty for a private lab to do the analysis. Tomorrow I will however make some inquiries with labs that our biologists at work use.

As the presenter said the lab procedure for CWD analysis isn't trivial. It involves isolating CWD Prions from harmless ones, imbedding the sample in paraffin, shaving the sample, fixing to a slide and staining. Some of the lab equipment looks expensive. If anyone wants to geek out with me, this is a good summary Step inside Minnesota’s only lab for detecting CWD — the mad cow disease of deer | MinnPost . I don't know if there is more than one method to conduct this analysis. The presented talked about deploying labs to the field though, so there might be a simpler way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts