Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sister friend was out hunting in area 36 from what I was told and was able to crack down this wolf with his muzzle. My sis is a wolf fanatic so gave it to her to get a rug made. Skinned it out but now what???? Wondering if anyone can recommend a place or person. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can not recommend a rug maker. But way to go getting the wolf. Some deer and moose will sleep better now, with it keeping the floor warm. Get a look at the length of those legs!

·
Registered
557 Posts
ldb pikester said:
Can not recommend a rug maker. But way to go getting the wolf. Some deer and moose will sleep better now, with it keeping the floor warm. Get a look at the length of those legs!
X2

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is a good sized wolf. Was it from the meditation lake area? Can you post other pic's of it? Its hair looks kinda short (not prime) just thinking b4 you spend a $1000. to rug it, is ok to ask whoever does it if its worth it. Another option is to get it tanned. I have shot a few wolves in Whiteshell and only to discover that they have mange, they look fine overall but get down to the skin you can see it. I hope this is not the case with yours but it won't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, yeah be good idea to see if it is worth it. Don't want my sis getting soaked for a crappy fur coat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ihunttoomuch said:
That is a good sized wolf. Was it from the meditation lake area? Can you post other pic's of it? Its hair looks kinda short (not prime) just thinking b4 you spend a $1000. to rug it, is ok to ask whoever does it if its worth it. Another option is to get it tanned. I have shot a few wolves in Whiteshell and only to discover that they have mange, they look fine overall but get down to the skin you can see it. I hope this is not the case with yours but it won't hurt to ask.
Good points !! BTW,I hope it was from meditation area too,way too many there(we are giving that area a break for deer this year)
I can help you out if ya havent found a taxidermist yet,I trust after you skinned it,you rolled it up and into a garbage bag in the freezer? I would certainly let you know of the fur condition prior to fleshing,and sending off to tannery. You certainly do have to watch out for mange. Perhaps if there was some mange down it's back,tail or rump,providing the head area was good(prime)she may want a full shoulder mount instead?? I'd be charging $7oo.00-800.00 for a rug(tanning included)...full shoulder around $450.00.

·
Registered
123 Posts
my son Colin shot a nice black one last year and I took it to International Fur Dressers on Dawson Rd, they did an awesome job of tanning

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tinman said:
my son Colin shot a nice black one last year and I took it to International Fur Dressers on Dawson Rd, they did an awesome job of tanning
I will second international as doing a great job. Have seen everything from marten, wolves, fox, coyotes and a wolverine done by them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Smith said:
I will second international as doing a great job.
International(our only tannery left in Wpg) does fine work,been bringing my hides there for over 25yrs. Good people too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ron Dare from Northland Taxidermy did both my white wolves (picture in the gallery) and did an amazing job. I've also had 2 bears completed by him, and he has another of mine right now. He does a fantastic job, and really knows his stuff.

·
2013 MHF Trail Cam contest Winner
207 Posts
Mmoutfitting said:
Ron Dare from Northland Taxidermy did both my white wolves (picture in the gallery) and did an amazing job. I've also had 2 bears completed by him, and he has another of mine right now. He does a fantastic job, and really knows his stuff.
How did you take two wolves I thought the limit was one?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to disappoint some you guys but wolf wasn't from meditation area I found out. South east of whitemouth closer to rennie. Thanks for all the info on this topic. I've been passing it all on to my sis so she has some calling to do. Thanks again

·
Registered
160 Posts
How did you take two wolves I thought the limit was one?[/quote]

I took one, and my dad took the other. He was unsure if he wanted a Rug, but I convinced him, and got both wolves made into rugs.

I also have a trapping license, so I can take wolves in an open trapping area, if I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
NoShow said:
Sorry to disappoint some you guys but wolf wasn't from meditation area I found out. South east of whitemouth closer to rennie. Thanks for all the info on this topic. I've been passing it all on to my sis so she has some calling to do. Thanks again
A pack of wolves will have a range of a couple hundred miles in area so it's not a stretch that yours may have been in the Meditation Lake area some time before you dumped it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts