Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there has been quite a bit of talk of hunting wolves, and my search of wolf hunting tactics hasn't been very productive.

How do you guys hunt a wolf? I assume that most wolves are taken just by chance while hunting other game. But if anyone has actually specifically hunted wolf, how did you do it? And for the rest of us who think about it, how would you hunt a wolf?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I'll start.

Two of the tactics I've heard of are taking a quarter of a deer or some other game (road kill with a permit, or a shot up quarter would work) and drilling a hole in the ice on a lake sticking the leg in the hole and letting it freeze in as bait.
Another one is to howl them in like a coyote.
Bringing those two tactics together would be going into a small remote lake and placing the bait one weekend, then returning the next to rebait and try howling.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have tried baiting them last year, and was unsuccessful with wolves but had coyotes hit the baits... Going to try the freezing in a leg thing this year, but it has to be fresh (or thawed) to get the scent in the air... Another tactic that I'm going to try is "trolling"... Basically dragging a burlap sack full of blood and guts along a trail or lake and then waiting in the middle to see if they show... I hear it works very well in the arctic, but they drag whole Caribou up and down the winter roads... I've tried calling them, but they are notoriously hard to call... I have some wolf sounds on my spitfire that I will use again this winter hoping to pull one in!!! But I think the best chance to get one is baiting, unless you happen to make one a victim of circumstance!!! ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Did you ever notice when you shoot a deer the ravins all of a sudden appear? Gut the deer drag it out and sneak back in to the gut pile. Ravins are a dinner bell for wolves for a free meal. Note if the ravins are in the trees then there is wolves on the ground..... sneak in slowly.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Excellent comments. The deer drag is a technique used by trappers where they set a snare. Do the drag on a main trail for instance where the chance of a passing wolf are good. As for sneaking in; you really need to pick a spot to be able to do that. The other option is to spend a lot of time at the bait site. The calling would help too.
The comment about the birds is bang on. We had a deer down in the field yesterday and had 5 or 6 Eagles and a multitude of Ravens trying to tear it apart in no time at all.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I tried the frozen in the ice method but all I got were Coyotes who paid the price for their free lunch. No dine and dash for them !!

I had not heard of the trolling method..........will have to give that some thought.

As for Ravens and Eagles......yes........if you get an animal down and cannot find it, those eyes in the sky will find it very quickly.

Great comments and observations.............thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Another thing I've heard of, although its geared towards trapping, is moving wolf crap... Basically you take wolf crap from one pack and move it into another packs territory... This will enrage the pack when they smell it and come rushing in... I was told it works really well with snares, sometimes even gets the whole pack in one go... I don't really think that it would work well for hunting, but it may increase the routine boundary checks by the packs, possibly giving a guy a better opportunity at getting one...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patty said:
Another thing I've heard of, although its geared towards trapping, is moving wolf crap... Basically you take wolf crap from one pack and move it into another packs territory... This will enrage the pack when they smell it and come rushing in... I was told it works really well with snares, sometimes even gets the whole pack in one go... I don't really think that it would work well for hunting, but it may increase the routine boundary checks by the packs, possibly giving a guy a better opportunity at getting one...
That sounds like something that would work well in conjunction with baiting and calling, after placing your bait for a short while add some scat (think dog poop would work?) and make them think another dog has moved in, then next time out, call

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sled-in said:
Patty said:
That sounds like something that would work well in conjunction with baiting and calling, after placing your bait for a short while add some scat (think dog poop would work?) and make them think another dog has moved in, then next time out, call

Dog crap might work... Coyote crap would probably work... Wolves generally aren't very tolerant of any kind of dog in their territory... Lots of lion hunters out west have lost dogs to wolves... I'm surprised and kinda concerned that I routinely see wolves and coyotes in the same areas now... There could be alot of interbreeding going on!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A canine bitch in heat will most certainly attract those 'yotes and wolves.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bulldog007 said:
Lol sounds like something PETA would try, you shouldn't have pets is one of their beleifs

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
sled-in said:
bulldog007 said:
Lol sounds like something PETA would try, you shouldn't have pets is one of their beleifs

Yes, as funny as it may seem, our Lab went into heat about a month ago and those yotes started acting like uninvited inlaws.....hanging around till all hours of the day and night.....having the occasional dump at the cottage lawn when we were away and keeping us up all night when we were there !!!

P.E.T.A. ( People Eating Tasty Animals )......right ??.....j.k.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome ideas here guys. I've wanted to try wolf or Coyote hunting for a while but I've never seen either outside of a campground or while driving.

Two other questions for you:

1) Do people use the meat? I like the idea of getting rid of deer a deer predator anyways, but I was always raised by the "you have to eat what you kill" rule. Plus I'm for sure going to try at least a little to say I have so ideas would be great!

2) What do people do with the carcasses?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't eat the predators I harvest but they are not wasted . I skin the animals , sell some skulls and the rest of the carcass goes into a clearing near my good hid baitpile of beaver to draw the ravens in . The birds will eat the carcasses .

TD

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I usually just get rid of the carcasses, but this year I'm going to use them as wolf bait... Last couple coyotes I've shot have been quickly devoured by there big cousins!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I seriously want to do this one year, With wolves becoming more present close by it should be getting a little bit easier.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ChaD? said:
I seriously want to do this one year, With wolves becoming more present close by it should be getting a little bit easier.
There is nothing easy when it comes to wolf hunting!!! I haven't got a bait out yet, which may help, but its still a tough go... At least where I am it is...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Definetly didnt mean easy, but isnt it more likely to find a over populated wolf then an endangered wolf? lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey for those of you interested, I'm starting up a skat farm. U-PICK-SKAT. We have fresh dominant male skat, and young bitch skat. $5 a ziplock bag. Thanks
Skatman.
:lmao:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts