Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a early 1950 year older winchester model 12 pump shotgun, 12 gauge, 30 inch barell and no vent rib just bead at end of barell. Shotgun is in fair condition. Is it normal for the firing pin to slide back in forth in extractor? Is it broken? What's a gun like this worth? Thinking about shooting some geese with it if price is right.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Does the seller say that the firearm is operable? Will he demonstrate that it is operable? If it's all good then negotiate a fair price.

Fine old shooters those 12s.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Can it handle waterfowl loads?

My brother and a friend both have old shotguns but they can't shoot steel so they can't hunt waterfowl with them unless they get the chokes reamed or shoot more expensive shells.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It will most likely have a fixed full choke, i would stay away from steel shot with it. You can get the "hevi shot" non toxic stuff and you should be OK.

I've seen them range from $130 to $650 depending on the age and condition.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
did_b said:
It will most likely have a fixed full choke, i would stay away from steel shot with it. You can get the "hevi shot" non toxic stuff and you should be OK.

I've seen them range from $130 to $650 depending on the age and condition.
Get the choke reamed out, Hevi-shot is expensive stuff... I think you can have a choke reamed for about $50-$75 depending on where you go... Thats about 75 rounds of good steel shot or about 30 of hevi-shot...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts