Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What what it that got you interested in bow hunting?

·
Registered
557 Posts
It was a weird one for me, I wasn't brought up hunting at all. I went a few times rifle hunting with a buddy after high school. When my daughter was 4 she joined soccer and one of the parents beside me started talking about stuff and mentioned he bow hunts and told me a few stories. It sounded awesome and he asked if I would like to try it? I said sure and I literally went to the archery shop the next day, tried some bows and bought a package with all the equipment needed. I shot for an hour and got sighted in, then went to this guys house and we went hunting. He set me up on the ground and told me what the deer would do then he went to hunt another spot and we would meet up after dark. Sure enough deer came like he said but being a rookie I got busted and they bolted. Next day we went again but I sat in a stand on another property, a little buck came by and I nailed him with my first ever shot at a deer on my second day bow hunting. It was a small buck and I spined him so not the best shot but it stopped him in his tracks and then I finished him off. We went from total strangers to great friends and he is my archery partner to this day, we spend almost every day of archery season hunting or building stands or asking permission or whatever needed to increase our odds of success. We are total addicts and go to extremes in our pursuit. We've had a lot of fun with deer, moose, caribou, elk and fishing. Strange how a chance meeting at a kids soccer game introduced me to my absolute passion in life, bow hunting is an addiction for me. Just sitting in my stand with my bow puts a smile on my face, having animals so close to you clueless to your presence is awesome.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful story. I can see why you're hooked.

·
Registered
869 Posts
For me it was easy.....muzzleloader and rifle just wasn't enough lo. Then again I never get out with my bow except for bowfishing now. Too much going on in september with Waterfowl and grouse, I try to do it all....lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just started last year and it was a way for me to go hunting more in a year and that i can do it in my back yard. Where I live its bow only. It was a learning curve but enjoyed having 20 some deer 100 yards away from me

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tailhunter said:
It was another season to get out! That and the call of backstrap steaks, hmmmm yeah.
You sound a lot like Uncle Ted Nugent! :p

·
Banned
216 Posts
Got tired and redundant shooting them with a gun, with a bow it's way more personal and challenging, plus I can hunt everyday and after work for 3 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Archery is like the Fly Fishing of the hunting world. I'm an avid fly fisherman so it was an easy choice.

I like both sports because it's just you out in nature. It's much more personal and challenging. Success really lies on your shoulders and the decisions and preparations you made before heading out.

Even having a couple does walk under your stand and have no idea you're there is so cool! You truly get to see some awesome things when you're just part of the tree bark! :recon:

Last year I had a Great Gray Owl sitting in the tree next to me. Just sat and stared at me for about 5 minutes before it flew off. Was WAY cool! I also got swooped on by a Great-horned Owl when I was ground hunting on the edge of a soybean field. lol. He landed about 30 yards away and I wanted him to look at me so I rustled my hand in the grass. He looked and swooped! I had to duck into the tall grass! lol. You definitely don't get to experience that when you're "pushing bush"! :p

Nick

·
Registered
557 Posts
NLaferriere said:
Archery is like the Fly Fishing of the hunting world. I'm an avid fly fisherman so it was an easy choice.

I like both sports because it's just you out in nature. It's much more personal and challenging. Success really lies on your shoulders and the decisions and preparations you made before heading out.

Even having a couple does walk under your stand and have no idea you're there is so cool! You truly get to see some awesome things when you're just part of the tree bark! :recon:

Last year I had a Great Gray Owl sitting in the tree next to me. Just sat and stared at me for about 5 minutes before it flew off. Was WAY cool! I also got swooped on by a Great-horned Owl when I was ground hunting on the edge of a soybean field. lol. He landed about 30 yards away and I wanted him to look at me so I rustled my hand in the grass. He looked and swooped! I had to duck into the tall grass! lol. You definitely don't get to experience that when you're "pushing bush"! :p

I've had an owl next to me too, and under the stand I've had skunks, coyotes, bears, deer obviously, dogs, even horseback riders and people out for a walk that were clueless to my presence. It is pretty cool to be "invisible" when bow hunting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I began bowhunting as a way to get out in the field more and add a challenge to hunting. I am s self proclaimed camo "junkie" and i love to be "invisible" to the animals. The experiences that you have bowhunting are alittle more intense when you have an animal in close. I don't get nervous when i have a deer in close when i have my muzzleloader or rifle in my hands, but when bowhunting my heart beats faster as the animal gets closer. Like Nick and clawj have said, to have animals and bird totally unaware of your presence is amazing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its the most intimate form of hunting.

mikeh416Rigby, imagine going after that cape buffalo with a bow and having to shot it at 20-30yds. Waiting for it to turn broadside or 1/4 away for 20min. Different story and much different experience. Thats why.

·
Banned
216 Posts
clawj said:
I've had an owl next to me too, and under the stand I've had skunks, coyotes, bears, deer obviously, dogs, even horseback riders and people out for a walk that were clueless to my presence.

.....and trespassing bowhunters, one at least will always remember me when I jumped down beside him in heavy foliage (I wasn't high) .....I seriously thought he crapped his pants, he screamed then started stuttering, I had a very hard time keeping a mad face.....never saw him again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Love bow hunting! The season is warmer, longer, and like others have said it is more challenging. No one else hunts the one area I hunt during archery, so not running into other hunters (and poachers) is another thing I look forward to. Have had an owl experience as well, walking out of the bush in the evening, it was perched up about 12' on a tree branch overhanging my trail. Stopped when I noticed it, and we stared each other down for a few minutes. Even tried hooting at it :oops: , it just tilted its head sideways as if it thought i was crazy. Kept walking and to my surprise it never flew away. As I passed under it its head swiveled around and watched me walk away as long as i could see it, ...was kinda cool. Also been walked out of the bush by a pack of coyotes, wasn't properly prepaired ,mag light in one hand bow in the other, (dont know what i would have dropped ..the bow or the light). I now use a head lamp and for added security i carry some dog spray. They definately did not see me as a threat, more like their next meal as they were on each side of me closing in. Guess bow hunting puts you right there on mother natures doorstep, you never know what kind of close encounter your going to have that day. Not saying you can't get as close to wildlife in other seasons, but my personal experiences have put me face to face with more wild animals when I'm sneaking through the woods with bow in hand....

·
Registered
557 Posts
superdave450 said:
@clawJ.....and then some a%$hole introduced you to elk hunting and there goes the remaining 2 weeks of "vacation".
Lol but I've loved pretty much every minute of elk hunting, it's taught me a lot and most deer hunters never get to see, do and hear the stuff we have experienced. I'm pretty grateful that arsehole introduced me to elk hunting, it's been tough but a lot of fun. I think this will be the year!! I've got some great hunting and fishing buddies that's for sure

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's hoping you take at least a mature 5 X 5. :pictures: :archery:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Riggs said:
Here's hoping you take at least a mature 5 X 5. :pictures: :archery:
Not really concerned about horns, I hunt for the meat most importantly. Horns would be a bonus but I'm more than happy to put my tag on a cow or spike any day. Just my personal philosophy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:marshmallow: .... I know it is not kosher on a website but here goes. Horns? What animals in MB have horns. I thought they were all antlered.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts