Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who in your life, was the most influential person or persons, to teach you about hunting, and the outdoors?

·
Registered
331 Posts
My Dads uncle was a great hunter he hunted everthing, when he was getting older and i was still a kid in school he used to come over to our place a lot and wait for me to get home on the school bus, encourging me all the time that he liked me as his hunting partner,and i was thrilled for him letting me go hunting with him, and you know a hunter gets wiser every time he goes hunting , just like i know he was bringing me along , he would shoot ducks and send me out into the water up to my butt to fetch these ducks for him, :iams: he said this come with the hunting you know, then the cleaning, to make a long story short he was in fact a influence on me to be a skilled hunter ,its my turn to be the older guy , the neighbour kid across the River from us got his Dad to ask me if johnny could tag along and learn a little hunting skills, im thrilled :hunter: .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hands down my dad. He's been dragging me around in the bush and on the lakes since I was 3 years old. There would be mornings when he would be going hunting with a friend and I would wake up to see him packing. I'd get tears in my eyes because he wasn't taking me. He was loading the truck one morning and he could see me staring out my bedroom window crying. He couldn't handle it and took me along even though I had school to attend. I loved heading out in the frosty mornings, listening to him and his brother or buddies tell hunting and fishing stories of past trips and hopes and dreams of upcoming ones.

40 years later and I'm lucky enough to still be sharing these trips with my dad and my son, making more memories.My son is 18 now and has been coming out with me and my dad since he was less than 2 years old. I'd actually change his diaper in a wagon on grouse trails.

Hunting is in my families blood. Both of my grandfathers hunted, my mom used to hunt and still goes out with my dad for grouse once in awhile and even my sister used to hunt, but now just looks for venison steaks and fowl in the freezer. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm gonna have to say my younger brother!
Before I actually got interested in hunting he use to drag my butt out with him to scout, hang stands and drag deer out.
He is a DIE HARD bow hunter and was well known in the area for shooting big bucks, so I found it very cool going out with him and learning and sharing in his success when I helped drag.
Now that i'm into it, i've filled the freezer on my own many many times over 14 yrs of deer hunting.
Don't get to spend the time in the deer woods anymore here in Ontario with him as he has live in Alberta for the past 7 yrs, but he has been getting it done there also shooting some nice WT's and afew HUGE mulies..

·
Registered
99 Posts
My father for sure. He was the first one to take me fishing. Took me hunting with him as soon as I wanted to go and insisted we spend as much of our summers out at the cabin instead of hanging out in the city.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Me, I was hunting for as long as I can remember, and dragging friends with me. I read everything I could, and listened whenever some would tell a story. No one in my family hunted or fished, but I pushed my older brother to join me, he is 60 and I am almost 57 and we still hunt and fish.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Riggs said:
Who in your life, was the most influential person or persons, to teach you about hunting, and the outdoors?
Mr Riggs who had influenced you to be a Hunter :?: :campfire:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Men such as: Erwin Bauer, Havilah Babcock, Fred Bear, Nash Buckingham, John Cartier, Eugene V. Connett, Jim Corbett, Frank Dufresne, Ben East, Charlie Elliott, George Bird Evans, John Taintor Foote, Corey Ford, Arnold Gingrich, Roderick Haig-Brown, John Jobson, Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, Tom Kelly, Dana Lamb, Arthur Macdougall, Gordon MacQuarrie, John Madson, Jack O'Connor, Larry Ramsell, Robert Ruark, Archibald Rutledge, Jack Samson, Edmund Ware Smith, Robert Traver, Ray Voss, Larry Benoit, and many others who penned their articles in Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, Field & Stream, and Policeman's Gazette.

I didn't have any relatives who hunted, but I got deluged with hunting, fishing, and camping stories whenever I went to the barber shop back in the 50s and 60s. The only magazines they had in the shop, were all outdoor sports related.

I also had a classmate in elementary school, Michael Smaglinski, who hunted with his father. Mike used to tell us his hunting, and trapping stories during recess. I was entranced listening to them. What sealed the deal for me though, was one morning we had a show & tell session, and Mike, who had been out small game hunting before school that morning, brought in a pheasant and rabbit that he had killed that morning. He also had his double barrelled shotgun with him.....How cool was that! I was hooked from that day on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My Dad without a doubt..When i was 13 or so I had no interest what so ever of hunting,My dad took me out with him for moose and deer a few times to sit post or walk the trails with him and I fell in love with the outdoors and understood there was alot more to behold than just the harvesting of an animal.When I turned 15,I went deer hunting for the 1st time I ended up with a yearling doe,I shot with my dad's friend's 30.06....I was hooked!!! Saved up all my paper route money and grass cutting money and walked into Farmer's supply and picked up a Remington model 700 BDL LH 30.06,a Bushnell scopechief 3x9x40 scope,mounts,rings,strap,a case,and a box of bullets the cost was roughly $900.00 for all in 1983,
Since then I have helped mentor my nephew,wife and daughter into the sport of big game hunting.But owe it all to my dad........Thanks,Dad!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Old Man was all work and no play.
Hunting was a practical exercise, filling the freezer.
So when I turned 13 he taught me how to use a compass and a couple of other basic’s and turned me loose.

Forever Grateful

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
My dad when it came to fishing, almost exclusively walleye but he had patience, he got me hooked, and taught me a lot. Hunting on the other hand was a complete stranger funny enough. I had done a very small amount of hunting since my dad wasn't into it while i was growing up, and then I met a fellow parent at my daughters soccer game years ago. After talking at a couple games he invited me bowhunting( which is pretty rare to have someone take a newbie hunting anywhere especially bow hunting). I Had a chance my first hunt that i blew and then scored a velvet buck the next day, from that point forward we've been a hunting team and spend a ton of time together hunting. He's easily the most influential person I've hunted with, I'm fortunate to have some great hunting and fishing friends but he showed me the ropes and is extremely knowledgable and has taught me a TON so he gets the nod as the most influential one.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I come from a long line of hunting and fishing, Both my mom and my dads side hunt and fish... But my Dad was most influential person for me... Taking me along on goose hunts, and breaking up the fights between the cousins over who's dad shot the goose in question!!! Man we had some good tug 'o' wars with some of those geese!!! He gave me my first pellet gun showed me how to use it and let me walk around the farmyard shooting at sparrows n such... Eventually it was on to bigger firepower and bigger critters... But my dad was there every step of the way!!!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
My dear old Dad without a doubt! Started fishing when I was about 8 and tagging along on grouse hunts after that. We always had guns in the house and plinking sparrows with a pellet gun was a right of passage in small town Manitoba.

As I got older and progressed to hanging out with the old man and his buddies a little more, I so thoroughly enjoyed the stories and banter that I wanted to make my own stories. I had a cousin and some friends who were also big into hunting and fishing so we literally spent almost every weekend from opening day of fishing to the last day of hunting hanging out with my Dad and his buddies or going out on our own.

Unfortunately it wasn't all gravy as I saw some horrendous abuses of wildlife and fish by some people. It didn't really occur to me that these acts were so wrong until I was about 14 or so. It was around then that I began to realize that what some of these yahoos considered a game was simply poaching and complete disrespect of entities that gave us so much enjoyment.

I was 14 and in grade 8 yet I knew what career I was going to pursue. I was going to catch the poachers that cared so little for fish and wildlife! My parents were in complete support and helped me immensely while I spent 2 years in college in Alberta. Following that I met some other people who fostered my love of hunting. I have to say that these people are all game wardens, retired game wardens or friends that I made in college in the late 70's. In fact, several of us still get together every fall to smack some geese!

My #1 hunting and fishing partner passed away this summer but my daughter and son both LOVE to fish and my son LOVES hunting.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Dad. I was going with him before I could carry my own rifle. When I was 12 he wanted to go hunting alone at least one year, and I would ball my eyes out and scream until I could go with him. :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SISIF said:
Dad. I was going with him before I could carry my own rifle. When I was 12 he wanted to go hunting alone at least one year, and I would ball my eyes out and scream until I could go with him. :lol:
I heard you get like that now, when Ty won't take you fishing with him. :lmao: jk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has to be my dad, he's a rancher in SK, so I spent ALOT of time with him out in the pasture learning about the outdoors.

He was not really into big game hunting, but he did enjoy varmint hunting, and through that he taught me about the responsibilities and morals of a good hunter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hunting/ trapping was our neighbor Fred Macklin he used to take me on his trapline many times a year

Fishing was my Dad

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It seems like a lot of us had some really good mentors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts