Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where have you guys & gals hunted. Manitoba only, other provinces & territories, out of the country, overseas?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fortunately we have a lot of great North American trophy animals right in our home province, not to mention the fishing, so for me I've always stayed here in Manitoba. I'd love to go to Africa one day but other than that I'm pretty happy hunting what Manitoba has to offer.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Colorado for elk. Manitoba for everything that we have here...except bears and turkeys. No desire to hunt bears at this time. Will endeavor to hunt turkeys one of these years. :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quebec for Caribou and Black Bear
Yukon Territory for Dall Sheep and Moose
Montana for Whitetail, Mulies, Elk, Pheasant and Pronghorn
Wyoming for Whitetail, Mulies, and Pronghorn
Ontario, Maine, New York, Maryland, South Dakota & Vermont for Whitetail
Pennsylvania for Whitetail and Black Bear
South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe for Plains Game & Cape Buffalo
New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland for Waterfowl

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
André said:
Colorado for elk. Manitoba for everything that we have here...except bears and turkeys. No desire to hunt bears at this time. Will endeavor to hunt turkeys one of these years. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice pics Andre!

I'm boring, I've only hunted Manitoba. There is however have a picture of me sitting on my dad's lap while he's sitting on the rhino that he had just shot when we lived in Tanzania back at Mom and Dad's. I'll have to dig it out and scan it one of these days. I actually have one of the hollowed out hooves from that critter sitting on my entertainment center as well as a bunch of hides (zebra, gazelle, etc) and horns still in dad's basement. We have a ton of African hunting footage, complete with Maasia guides, on 8mm that needs to be put on DVD one of these days.

I got all kinds of stuff I could bore people with and alot of it's true. :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That stuff never bores me. :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andre: that is one big herd of elk. Any nice bulls in there?

I particularly like that photo of your lab sitting between the hanging geese... very creative.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
Andre: that is one big herd of elk. Any nice bulls in there?
97 elk in that herd. Quiet 6 x 6 bull bringing up the rear and a really vocal 6 x 6 in front. The front bull was talking away with another bull inside the tree line and went straight for the trees to challenge this other bull. About 100 yards from the tree line he put on the brakes. A high and thick tined 6 x 6 stepped out of the trees and gave him a, "Here I am! You still want a piece of me?" bugle. The not yet ready for prime time bull turned around and ran straight up and over the mountain. Abandoned the herd entirely.

About 30 cows and calves ran into the tree line to hook up with that big bull. The rest of the herd kept grazing along the alpine level.

Got to about 70 yards from a cow but that's as close as I could get in the willow patch she and 4 or 5 other baldies were feeding.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elk hunting during the rut.....nothing like it. Shame you couldn't close the deal, but hey, that's hunting, right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've shot Roe bucks in Scotland twice. I've hunted Pheasants in Wales. Boar in Texas and of course lots of Deer and Bears in good ole Canada!
Trying to find pics to post.

·
Registered
117 Posts
André said:
[quote="André":wbvgzu99]Colorado for elk. Manitoba for everything that we have here...except bears and turkeys. No desire to hunt bears at this time. Will endeavor to hunt turkeys one of these years. :)

[/quote:wbvgzu99]

damn nice playground!! I only hunted around where i live.here in Quebec.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mark31 said:
I grew up hunting in the Yukon, now I hunt around Manitoba. Hoping to get back to the Yukon in a few years.
Hunted the Yukon back in my younger days for Dall Sheep, Moose, and Caribout up in the Ogilve (sp) Mountains in the Tatundik (sp) River drainage. Beautiful country. Flew into Whitehorse, then took a bus up to Dawson, then bush plane into the area, then used horses to get around. What a trip!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Riggs said:
Mark31 said:
I grew up hunting in the Yukon, now I hunt around Manitoba. Hoping to get back to the Yukon in a few years.
Hunted the Yukon back in my younger days for Dall Sheep, Moose, and Caribout up in the Ogilve (sp) Mountains in the Tatundik (sp) River drainage. Beautiful country. Flew into Whitehorse, then took a bus up to Dawson, then bush plane into the area, then used horses to get around. What a trip!
Sounds like a great trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts