Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use Winchester 150 grains the x something (sorry can't remember the exact name but you know the ones lol) i have tried a few and these shoot the best in my Remington 710. i have tried the Remington core locked and they suck in my rifle i just can't get good groups they just fly everywhere anyone else had the same thing happen?
what is your bullet of choice in this calibre?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It all depends on where I'm hunting. If it's over large fields, I use the old 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, but if I'm hunting in the woods, I use the 180 grain Barnes X bullet. The reason I prefer the 180 grain bullet is because of the higher B.C., and also sectional density that allows for good penetration from any angle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I load my own, 165 grain Hornady BTSP......best all around weight for the '06

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Tailhunter said:
Loaded some up with the Hornady sst interlocks in 150gr a few years ago, and I like em. Accurate and deadly.
My dad and I didn't like those things out of 270 or 30-06, they blew up like a high explosive and destroyed a lot of meat. But they are a cheaper bullet and if you make sure you don't hit either front quarter that might not be so bad.

In any of these calibers I'm really liking the Barnes TSX or TTSX. They're expensive, but I hardly shoot the rifle other than deer season so it's really not too expensive when I use so few.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
When I had my '06 I was using 150 grain Hornady light magnums which had the interlock slugs in them. They shot very accurately and when I added the 180's for moose they printed in the same place which was sweet. I believe they call these Superperformance now. My second favorite and a surprisingly good factory round is the Federal blue box stuff. It has been an accurate round in a couple of calibers with good terminal performance. The best buy in factory ammo IMO.
For reloading the SST's or BTSP interlocks are both good choices. As are Nosler ballistic tips and the Barnes offerings. Bullet weight depends on whether you will use the loaded rounds for other larger game and the max range you plan to shoot. For ranges under 300 yards they will all work. Use what is most accurate and decide what recoil you want to put up with as well.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I used to cull deer at a game preserve that sold venison to restaurants all over the country. The sole criteria was that there could be no blood shot meat on the body, so that meant only head shots. Over several years I probably shot upwards of 250 deer, all with shots between the eyes, or at the base of the ear if standing sideways. My weapon of choice was a Remington 7mm Magnum with a Leupold 3 x 9 shooting 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips resting on a Harris Bi-pod. I loved that rifle, but some rat ba...rd stole it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
SISIF said:
Tailhunter said:
Loaded some up with the Hornady sst interlocks in 150gr a few years ago, and I like em. Accurate and deadly.
My dad and I didn't like those things out of 270 or 30-06, they blew up like a high explosive and destroyed a lot of meat. But they are a cheaper bullet and if you make sure you don't hit either front quarter that might not be so bad.

In any of these calibers I'm really liking the Barnes TSX or TTSX. They're expensive, but I hardly shoot the rifle other than deer season so it's really not too expensive when I use so few.
Found the same thing with those SST's. Couldn't believe the fragments I found in a deer once. Used them up for target practice and will never reload those again.

One of the best and cheapest bullets I've reloaded for the .06 are Remington Core-lokt in 165 gr. Very good bullet, holds up well with good expansion. Been using the 180 gr Remington Core-lokt out of my 300 WinMag and am also enjoying good results on 'tails and swamp donkey's.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have tried Remington cor lokt factory rounds and i just cant get the groupings i would like with them although i did kill a bear with them last spring he was facing me at a slight angle hit inside edge of the front shoulder exited just behind last rib opposite side nice clean wounds lots of bone fragments from the shoulder but that's all bullet never wavered but that was only 30 yards

·
Registered
193 Posts
canadian-ice said:
SISIF said:
Tailhunter said:

Found the same thing with those SST's. Couldn't believe the fragments I found in a deer once. Used them up for target practice and will never reload those again.

One of the best and cheapest bullets I've reloaded for the .06 are Remington Core-lokt in 165 gr. Very good bullet, holds up well with good expansion. Been using the 180 gr Remington Core-lokt out of my 300 WinMag and am also enjoying good results on 'tails and swamp donkey's.
Odd, I have been using them for 5 years and no problems yet, and I have shot deer from 40yds out to 400, with loonie to toonie sized holes, and only bone fragments left behind. I use the 250 sst's in my muzzel loader, and have for many years, and I have had no problems with those either.
Only one thing to do, spend more time in the bush :shotgun: . :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've used the SST's as well in my smoke pole with no problems. Groups weren't great, but definitly minute of whitetail. Maybe got a bad batch with the .30 cal, but decided to not give them a second chance. They did group well, I will give them that.

It seems no matter what the product, there is always lemons out there. You can read reviews on products and 25 people will give it 5 out of 5 stars, yet 2 people will give it one star. Just can't please everyone all the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
There is so much dependant on exactly where any bullet hits. I had a regular SP interlock (Hornady LighT Magnum) in 30-06 that hit a buck's rib dead on at 40 yards. That bullet exploded like a v-max would. The entrance wound was larger than a golf ball. No exit wound, no sign of the bullet at all except some fragments. The lungs looked like they had been put in a blender. That buck actually ran for about 15 yards and spray painted the trees he went by on one side. Not the bullet performance I was expecting but he sure didn't get far either and there was no meat loss. If that bullet had not hit that rib it would have been a through and through and he likely would have gone close to 50 yards.
I think the key especially if you are reloading is to match the bullet to the velocity. With the ammo mentioned above the velocity in the 30-06 is claimed to be 3100 fps but it has chronoed about 2950-3000 fps in that particular rifle. That might be on the edge for that bullet.
There is no doubt the tsx or ttsx bullets will perform without that occasional grenade. The benefit of solid copper. They can be a bit pricey to work up a load though at about $1 a bullet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
snomad said:
There is so much dependant on exactly where any bullet hits. I had a regular SP interlock (Hornady LighT Magnum) in 30-06 that hit a buck's rib dead on at 40 yards. That bullet exploded like a v-max would. The entrance wound was larger than a golf ball. No exit wound, no sign of the bullet at all except some fragments. The lungs looked like they had been put in a blender. That buck actually ran for about 15 yards and spray painted the trees he went by on one side. Not the bullet performance I was expecting but he sure didn't get far either and there was no meat loss. If that bullet had not hit that rib it would have been a through and through and he likely would have gone close to 50 yards.
I think the key especially if you are reloading is to match the bullet to the velocity. With the ammo mentioned above the velocity in the 30-06 is claimed to be 3100 fps but it has chronoed about 2950-3000 fps in that particular rifle. That might be on the edge for that bullet.
There is no doubt the tsx or ttsx bullets will perform without that occasional grenade. The benefit of solid copper. They can be a bit pricey to work up a load though at about $1 a bullet.
Yes it was the close range I have had the same experience with hornady hand loads

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I now use one bulllet in both 30:06 and 300 Win Mag...the 180 grain tsx. For me it's because I can take the shot from any angle, and know that I'm going to get complete penetration. No more waiting for it to turn broadside, or watch the deer walk directly away from me and be afraid to shoot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Riggs said:
I now use one bulllet in both 30:06 and 300 Win Mag...the 180 grain tsx. For me it's because I can take the shot from any angle, and know that I'm going to get complete penetration. No more waiting for it to turn broadside, or watch the deer walk directly away from me and be afraid to shoot.
Sounds to me like your not afraid to take high percentage wounding shots

G

·
thepatriot said:
Riggs said:
Keep checking this forumn with my I phone and always hit this stupid high five thing by accident!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
thepatriot said:
Riggs said:
Not exactly. Seven African Safaris, over 30 big game hunts all over North America, and many deer and bear hunts in my home state have taught me that if one knows the anatomy of their quarry, uses a caliber that's more than adequate, teams it up with a well constructed hunting bullet, and spends hours on the range each week shooting from field positions, then that qualifies them to take shots that most hunters wouldn't, and shouldn't take. Since I started using the Barnes Bullets, I've only ever recovered 2 bullets: one from a Cape Buffalo, and the other from a bull Eland that weighed over 1500 pounds. On the Eland, my shot entered the right hip, travelled all the way through the animal, and came to a stop under the skin in the brisket. That was over 6' of penetration with the 300 grain Barnes. I've yet to wound, and loose any animal I've shot using a Barnes Bullet. Conversely, I once lost a beautiful Whitetail Buck in Wyoming using a .270 with the early Hornady Soft Point 150 grain Interlock bullet. It was a 60 yard broadside shot at the edge of an alfalfa field. I hit the deer right on the point of the shoulder. The deer went down, but got right up and ran off with a broken shoulder...the leg swinging with each leap. We watched the deer run for over 2000 yards, never breaking stride, until it got into a thick river bottom. There was no blood trail at all, and the deer was lost, and counted as filling my tag.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your my hero. But this speaks volumes about your ethics (however little you may have) "watch the deer walk directly away from me and be afraid to shoot" I've read alot on hunting forums and you "sir" just posted the most stupid comment I've ever read.

I handload the ttsx and lrx as well. I guess I have some respect for the animal and don't take your shoot him up ass approach.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts