Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
During rifle, muzzleloader, or archery?

For me they come out all times of the day. This year alone I've had them morning, noon, and night. None super early though. I think the earliest I've had a buck this year was 8:30ish during muzzleloader.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
I got a big 9 at 1:15 a couple weeks ago. Came in hot and heavy to a series of tailing grunts followed by a series of tending grunts. Dropped him at 55 yards. They are most active first and last lights, but if you know where your does are bedding, and get between the bucks bedding area and the does, it can happen at any time. I let bucks walk every hunt this year since opening day of archery. Come pre-rut, i was seeing them at all times of the day. You just need to put in the pre season effort and start gathering intel early and use that to plan your hunts. Use the wind, and dont hunt a spot just because you know a buck is in the area if the wind is bad. Cant tell you how many hunts this year i have abandoned my stands and blinds to kneel down behind some cover off a trail/food/or water source and had deer in bow range. This has been hands down my favorite season in years deer wise. I got permission on a new property this summer, put the leg work in well before season started, and could have tagged out opening week of archery if i really wanted too, but i didnt want to end the season early even if it was a nice buck. I had 3 target bucks, which dropped to 2 after the number 1 buck got killed by a train.... that was a sad day, and i tagged out on target buck number 2. There are taller and wider 10's on the property but the mass on "Stiffler" made him number 2 and i couldn't pass the opportunity up that he presented.

Managed to get my uncle on his first ever deer, which was a nice 8 on his first day out for the season. Wasnt in the stand 25 minutes when he dropped him at 50 yards with the muzzle loader. I got my buddies 15 year old son his first deer (doe) on his first hunt ever. Got my buddy to fill his antlerless tag. Also got my cousin on his first buck (8 pointer). Heading back out to party hunt this weekend with my buddy to see if he can fill his buck tag. Got a few nice ones still kicking around. I myself will only squeeze the trigger if i happen to see number 1. if not, its all on him.

Honestly, it can happen at anytime, in any weather, especially if you know your area.

Reactions: Chucky

·
Registered
159 Posts
The bigger deer i have shot has been between 10 and 2. Rarely do i have any action from 2 til about 1hour before sunset. Morning i do get alot of spikes/does/smaller bucks. This year rattled in a 3.5yr old at 8:15am, ended up having issues with my muzzleloader and 3hrs later at 11am i shot one of my largest deer to date

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rattled in a couple over the years mid day, dead time. Travelling bucks have been 8:30-10:30 am then 3pm on. But like Spartan said,”Anytime,anywhere if you know your area”. This has definitely been an exceptional season. Population is healthy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts