Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 of us hunted 4 areas hard for 5 days from Tuesday to Saturday and didn't have to travel more than an hour and a half from Lockport for great hunting. We stayed south of Hwy #68. Totals were 20, 24, 24,24, 24 for a total of 116 ducks and we shot 3 geese too. The latest we stayed out was Saturday and that was 430 pm. We filled out before lunch 3 days. Before anyone complains, most of these birds were given away daily to people that don't or can't hunt or older people that love eating divers. A few were consumed, by the hunters, with a few wobbly pops as well.

We saw a lot of geese in fields and if we were field hunters, I am sure we would have got into the geese as well. I've talked to grouse hunters and they say they are plentiful this year. Greenbacks are in the river... What great hunting to have without having to travel far. I grew up as a kid thinking that everyone had great duck hunting and was in my mid teens before I realized what we have here. The Interlake region is a waterfowler's paradise and with a bit of scouting, great hunting is all over the place. Divers moved down late last weekend so some places we were shooting mallards, teal and other puddle ducks and other places we were shooting mainly divers. I have to admit, I am getting old and am really feeling it in my legs and upper body. It is a good thing my buddies went back home so I can rest before I go back out on Tuesday.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the great post. I am super excited for my trip this weekend into the Interlake. You are right, an awesome area!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am having the same good luck. In the Netley area and birds everywhere. Having a blast and already talking about our trip next year and still have 12 more days here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
4 guys hunting, 4 days, 106 ducks and 14 geese. It's all in the scouting. Not better then anyone, just alot of research and studying before coming. Some good luck always helps also lol. Will post pics when i get home.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
shoot'em in the lips said:
4 guys hunting, 4 days, 106 ducks and 14 geese. It's all in the scouting. Not better then anyone, just alot of research and studying before coming. Some good luck always helps also lol. Will post pics when i get home.
Hunting fields, or over water?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water hunting, found a few productive pot holes in Netley. Lots of teal and mallards. Shot 11 differnt species of ducks on friday. Will be scouting for fields today.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We probably saw 8000-10000 mallards go over our heads this morning around 300 yards high. We also scared up about 2000 geese on our way to our hunting spot (frozen).
We traveled at first light so we could see any ice on the water and when we got to where we were going, it was frozen. Plan B got us 9 mallards and a goose but if we were set up earlier and shot better, limits wouldn't have been a problem. Decoying mallards and pass shooting geese, gotta love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts