Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Useful Crown Land Maps

65K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  eguillas93 
#1 ·
#13 ·
It was a bit of a process but I got it to work on an iPhone. Hopefully this makes sense. I took some screen shots as a reference as well.

-Download Chrome and Google Earth
-Press and hold original link and view in Chrome
-Click on desired map and press download in the middle of the screen and then download again at the bottom of the screen. You should see the file starting to download
-After it has downloaded it should show “open in” at the bottom and select that.
-In the middle of your screen you should be able to scroll to the right and select copy to Google Earth. You may have to press it a few times. Google Earth should open it automatically once it is copied to the app.
-In future, open Google Earth and press the 3 horizontal bars in the top left corner.
-Select my places and the map should be there and then “fly here”

Some of the maps seem to cause the app to crash

Grey Font Screenshot Electric blue Multimedia

Font Screenshot Gadget Electric blue Multimedia

Font Screenshot Rectangle Software Multimedia

Product Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget

Atmosphere World Natural environment Sky Astronomical object

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Multimedia

Font Rectangle Screenshot Electronic device Parallel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
They've all been added, with more to come.
I'll be adding every available crown land map from the Sustainable Development maps index

Available RMs: Alexander, Armstrong, Brokenhead, De Salaberry, E St Paul, Gimli, Hanover, La Broquerie, Lac du Bonnet, Montcalm, Morris, North Cypress-Langford, Pinawa, Piney, Reynolds, Richot, Rockwood, Rosser, Springfield, St Andrews, St Clements, St Laurent, Ste Anne, Stuartburn, Tache, Victoria, W St Paul, Whitemouth, Woodlands

#10 ·
The easiest way to do this is to use google earth on either PC or Mac. Once you have that installed and the files downloaded. You can open the file with google earth and it will be a layer that you can toggle on / off in "your places".

You can pm me if you are still having issues.

#18 ·
Any grid square with letters or numbers is potentially crown land, just refer to the PDF in the file to figure out the lands' classification. If there is nothing in the square it is most likely private land.

Great support guys, I appreciate the teamwork in here!

I just updated with the rest of the interlake, except for the RM of West Interlake. I can't find the maps for West Interlake so unfortunately it wont be included.

Central MB is up next.

#19 · (Edited)
Very selfless of you to share this info. Here is a personal opinion and I may get blasted for it. While it may be nice to use your files, I myself would never hunt a spot unless I knew for sure I either had permission on the spot, or I knew for sure it was crown land. How do I know for sure it is crown land? I went to canadamapsales and bought the most recent map for that area and it says crown land, or I went to the RM.

If someone confronts you about being on the wrong piece of property, saying "well I got a file from some guy on an internet forum" isn't going to cut it.

Simply walking on a piece of property has too many important ramifications that I wouldn't go there unless I was 100% sure it was crown. This has absolutely nothing to do with the accuracy of these maps. They most likely are very accurate, but as a hunter we owe it to the land owners and other people hunting these areas to do our own homework and make absolutely sure we know where we are stepping. Maybe use this as a tool to find areas, but I would make sure I had a map direct from an appropriate source before I step foot on a piece of land.

So while i think it is very nice for the OP to share this info with all the masses that don't have the homework completed, I would caution the use of it. How old are the maps you are working off of? How long will this info stay on the internet? 5 years from now these files will still be here, and maps may have changed. So even if every source you are working off of is 100% accurate today, it simply can't be years from today. So I personally don't really like this. The info is just too open ended.

You also say: "Any grid square with letters or numbers is potentially crown land, just refer to the PDF in the file to figure out the lands' classification. If there is nothing in the square it is most likely private land." Looking at the map there are mile sections with numbers here that are guaranteed private land. The problem with putting something like this on the internet is there are lazy people looking for spots that misread things and just go with little respect or concern for people. It's the same kind of person that can't find a fishing spot for themself and has to always ask others where to go. They look at this map and say "Oh there are numbers on that section I'll just walk on," not doing their own homework or anything. Reading instructions given and looking at the map, I would end up on private. Just saying.

One man's opinion.

#20 ·
In my view helping people understand access to publicly accessible land is an important part of keeping people engaged in hunting and introducing new people to it. Having places to hunt is a huge barrier to entry for hunters and would-be hunters.

Ideally the government would make quality maps available so a service like OnX could produce highly reliable maps for Manitoba, but in the meantime I think this is a nice first step, and I commend the OP for their efforts and willingness to share it.

Certainly a disclaimer about being careful with the maps and not fully relying on them is appropriate, but in my opinion it’s not a reason to throw the whole idea out.

I note that the land ownership maps from Canadamapsales are frequently out of date by several years, so short of searching the particular legal description of a particular property at the Land Titles Office there is no perfect way to confirm land ownership with 100% certainty.

#21 ·
Bowbender87 I think your comment is spot on, and you rightly pointed out I was flippant in my last reply. We do need to be careful about access, or we run the risk of tarnishing every hunter. As you zoom in on these maps you can see that the lines are thick and clumsy, and they do not line up perfectly due to curvature. I encourage anyone, if in doubt, find multiple sources of info before assuming the status of a piece of land.
To your point about the map dating, each of the files has a link to the source database and the date the map was last revised. Some have not been revised since the 90s.

And as a short disclaimer: these maps are not definitive reference material

#23 ·
Like the previous comments said. You need to do more homework before knowing, some RM's will let you go and look at the taxroll for a particular property, check crown land maps, order a title from land titles etc.

I know this is all publicly available information on these files but imho this is very dangerous as there are a lot of lazy people out there who won't even bother asking if they can hunt A/C/6b etc.

#28 ·
ggbrown, I really appreciate that you did this. We (iHunter app) are going through all the crown land data we can get and producing a layer in the app to help identify crown land. I will be making use of your kmz (converted from kmz to mbtiles raster database) to cross reference other sources and re-code the land use classifications into more easily understandable explanations.

I will happily get you free copies of the app and Public Lands subscription once it is finished up.

#30 ·
Hey guys, I decided to fix the lack of useable crown land maps. I'm building a series of overlay files in google earth from the Sustainable Development map index.

Please check it out and let me know if it works, and if you have any feedback.

Manitoba Crown Land Map Overlays - Google Drive
Do you have one for the RM of West Interlake? I don't see in the Google Drive.

Also, when I go to the Manitoba Gov page you reference, Province of Manitoba | Conservation and Climate, I don't see any maps there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.