Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the heck do ya chase turkeys down? My wife has said she'll tag along for one of these, for whatever reason she feels better about me taking a Turkey than a Goose, Mallard or Grouse. I think it'll be a blooper reel event, but that'll be part of the fun.

Thanks all

-Dusty

·
Registered
339 Posts
Turkeys appear to be rare in Manitoba. In all the years of driving all over the province we have only seen them a few times. We used to have a flock about half a mile from our house but they were almost tame, and are now gone. Used to see some in the south east part of the province while deer hunting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They have a nice piece of public land to the southwest of the town field and bush but we have hunted there and on farmers fields everyone we've asked out there so far has always said yes to hunting turkeys haven't got told no yet!! (cross fingers)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks. my son and I both bought shotguns recently so are excited to get out there more often. We have been turkey hunting a couple years with a bow for me and a borrowed shoutgun or a 410 single shot for my son. We have got close a couple times but haven't fired a shot yet. Not many birds where we have been going, so add that to a rookie caller and a novice hunter...you do the math. I've loved every minute of it though, and cant wait to get out more often.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have seen a flock of turkeys over by Prawda every spring and fall. Not too sure of how many are there but I have usually seen up to 15 birds at a time there. There is some crown land around there on the South side of the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
northernbuckmagic77 said:
They have a nice piece of public land to the southwest of the town field and bush but we have hunted there and on farmers fields everyone we've asked out there so far has always said yes to hunting turkeys haven't got told no yet!! (cross fingers)
Just out of curiosity, the public land you're referring to, is it the La Riviere wildlife management area? I tried scouting this spot about a week before the season opened, but there was still about 5 feet of snow covering it. Didn't go here for spring, cause I figured it would be under water. I figure this would be a good spot for the fall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts