Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went the spring of 2011 for the first time, called in 2 Tom's! Got one and I am hooked! Very exciting when you are calling in a big Tom and he is reacting to the different calls you give em!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have ALWAYS wanted to hunt turkey, it sounds like a blast. It's only been recently that I have found out about hunting them here in Manitoba, so I intend to go next year no matter what. Hopefully between now and then I can figure out where to go and what to do to get them. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tried it and found it kinda anticlimactic. I set up my hen dummy, did my calls on the box call, bird came up and I shot him. Home by 8:00am. The bird tasted great but it was too easy and once you're done, you're done. Not like waterfowling when you get to go again and again. I know I am lucky to have permisson on land with birds but they are on crown land I hunt too. Maybe if I didn't know where to find them it would have been more of a challenge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chixfishing said:
I tried it and found it kinda anticlimactic. I set up my hen dummy, did my calls on the box call, bird came up and I shot him. Home by 8:00am. The bird tasted great but it was too easy and once you're done, you're done. Not like waterfowling when you get to go again and again. I know I am lucky to have permisson on land with birds but they are on crown land I hunt too. Maybe if I didn't know where to find them it would have been more of a challenge.
You got lucky...
You need to experience some hunts where the birds are henned up and you need to figure out how to pull them away, not easy.
Or experience a pressured bird that has wised up to calls and work him for hrs before he committs to your calling.
I've seen pressured birds wise up to certain calls that I, or someone hunting a neigbouring property have been using and they get the heck out of there as soon as they hear that call. Thats why I own around 150 different calls so I can switch up. I carry a minimum of 20 calls at all times.
Also the decoys can make or break your hunt.
Heavily pressured birds don't decoy very well and will sometimes spook at the sight of a decoy.
When or if I use a decoy, it is only over fields to just give them something to see.
I never use one in the woods, because I want them searching for me and not hanging up. Its amazing how accurately they can pin point your spot when doing very little calling.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess if more people get interested and hunt the birds I see, it'll be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
snortwheez said:
Figure I would post up some spring and fall hunting pics.....
I'm sure I can answer almost any question asked about turkey hunting...
Is there a spring season in Manitoba? Or did you go somewhere else for your spring turkeys?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sring is toms only (with visible beard), fall is either sex. I shot my tom in the spring. You can hunt both seasons but are only allowed 1 bird per year so if you're successful in the spring, you're done for that year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chixfishing said:
Sring is toms only (with visible beard), fall is either sex. I shot my tom in the spring. You can hunt both seasons but are only allowed 1 bird per year so if you're successful in the spring, you're done for that year.
Tom's only?
Or bearded bird only in the spring?
Alot of people don't know the difference between a jake N tom, or bearded hen

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rules here in Onatrio
You must complete a wild turkey hunting course, which can now be done online
April 25 to the end of May, 2 bearded bird limit but cannot be shot on the same day. And hunting in the spring can only be done untill 7pm.
Fall season opens the day after Thanks Giving and is a week and 1/2, 1 bird of either sex
Fall N spring licences are seperate
# 4, 5, 6 shot only
All birds must be reported over the phone by noon the next day

·
Registered
24 Posts
did a lot of bow hunting for them about fifteen years ago it was fun.have been gun hunting for them since then.had good luck with bow and gun.getting back into bow hunting again looking forward to next spring.more fun to get with a bow.me and the wife got our thanks giving turkey.

·
Registered
460 Posts
snortwheez said:
Chixfishing said:
Tom's only?
Or bearded bird only in the spring?
Alot of people don't know the difference between a jake N tom, or bearded hen
Well, I guess it only says "One wild turkey with visible beard" for the spring and "one wild turkey" for the fall. So I guess anything with a beard. I just interpreted that as "boys only" in the spring.
Snortwheez, maybe this is a good place to explain the differences?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts