Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't take all my ammo to the grave with me. :lol:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. After my wife and I were married, we lived in a small apartment for 7 years. Following that, we bought a small, 1000 sf house in the city. My mounts were scattered everywhere: down in the basement, family members and friends homes, area sporting goods stores, you name it. Well, after living there 19 years, the neighborhood really started going down hill...lots of crime, etc., so we decided that wasn't where we wanted to retire. So 12 years ago a friend of mine who was a real estate developer and home builder, made us an offer on a land/house combo out in the country on 3 acres. We designed the house ourselves, a 2000 sf ranch home (my knees are shot, so I wanted no stairs), with a trophy room. The trophy room measures 24' x 28', and has 14 ' vaulted ceiling. The wall paper is made from woven grass: I bought it because it reminded me of the reed walls of a chalet I stayed in at one of the game reserves in South Africa. The basement has a 20 yard archery and air rifle range. I practice flippin jigs down there too. :)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mr walleye said:
Love the room I am planning to go in the next couple of years.
If u have any questions, feel free to ask. I sure as heck don't know everything about it, but I know more now, than I did before my first Safari.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
Thanks. After my wife and I were married, we lived in a small apartment for 7 years. Following that, we bought a small, 1000 sf house in the city. My mounts were scattered everywhere: down in the basement, family members and friends homes, area sporting goods stores, you name it. Well, after living there 19 years, the neighborhood really started going down hill...lots of crime, etc., so we decided that wasn't where we wanted to retire. So 12 years ago a friend of mine who was a real estate developer and home builder, made us an offer on a land/house combo out in the country on 3 acres. We designed the house ourselves, a 2000 sf ranch home (my knees are shot, so I wanted no stairs), with a trophy room. The trophy room measures 24' x 28', and has 14 ' vaulted ceiling. The wall paper is made from woven grass: I bought it because it reminded me of the reed walls of a chalet I stayed in at one of the game reserves in South Africa. The basement has a 20 yard archery and air rifle range. I practice flippin jigs down there too. :)
That is awesome! I am glad some one can have room like that, never mind get the chance at all those trophy's! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
offshoreonly said:
:shock: you have your own archery range?!?
Yea...I can shoot indoors when it's raining or snowing, and outdoors, I have targets set up from 10 to 60 yards.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tailhunter said:
mikeh416Rigby said:
That is awesome! I am glad some one can have room like that, never mind get the chance at all those trophy's! Congrats!
Thanks Tailhunter. I have indeed been blessed to have had those opportunities. I really enjoy sitting down in "my room" and all I have to do is look at a particular mount, close my eyes, and see the whole hunt happening again.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kind words. All the taxidermy was done in South Africa by Life-Form Taxidermy in White River. Their studio, warehouse and shipping department covers almost a whole city block square.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Very nice Mike. Many women really don't care to have heads staring down at them so you are truly lucky to have a whole room devoted to them. Was the taxidermy work less costly over there or is it a necessity to have it done there? I imagine shipping complete mounts back is a bit costly too. Fill us in on the choices one has. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There were several things that went into my decision to have my taxidermy done in South Africa. First: they know what the African animals look like. Ask yourself if you'd rather have your trophy whitetail done locally, or shipped overseas to have it done. Yes, there are some incredibly talented taxidermists in the States, and Canada who do exceptional mounts of African game, but imho they are frightfully expensive. It's been my experience that having my African game mounts done in South Africa and then shipped by sea, saves me about 20% on what it would cost me to have the mounts done here. Also, most Outfitters/P.H.s in South Africa will make arrangements for you to visit different taxidermy studios while you're over there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wonderful trophy room!! I am looking at going to Africa in two years and would love to hear your comments on possible outfitters.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
keka55 said:
Wonderful trophy room!! I am looking at going to Africa in two years and would love to hear your comments on possible outfitters.
The very first thing you'll need to do, is determine what animals you'd like to hunt. I would suggest that the first time hunter look at a hunt stricktly for plains game, like Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, and Blue Wildebeest.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tradbow said:
That's a great trophy room!!! Do you get any damage from sunlight on your mounts?
Thanks for the compliment. I have wooden, horizontal blinds on the room's windows, so no sunlight shines on them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts