Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to identify tree species on Google Earth?
Hoping there is a way to identify certain tree species by view Google Earth maps, is it possible. If so how can I learn how to do it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does anyone know how to identify tree species on Google Earth?
Hoping there is a way to identify certain tree species by view Google Earth maps, is it possible. If so how can I learn how to do it?
Best I’ve figured is to use the timeline slider and try to find a winter and summer shot and if they’re still green in winter they are conifers. As far as differentiating between species, I don’t have a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
A quick method is to ground truth a few types of trees, then look at them on google maps.

In college we did air photo interpretation, I believe pine trees looked a bit like multi-pointed stars from above, spruce trees looked fairly circular, and deciduous looked billowy. It's a bit more than that, and fairly subjective and tough, especially at the beginning. There's lots of literature about species identification from aerial photos in the forestry world.

PDF Guide to Species ID from Aerial Photos

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use satellites.pro for access to a couple different mapping providers on same window and area. Google, apple, Esri and a topo.
But I just glanced through the link Boots included and I think it will help alot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sometimes check the imagery on Bing Maps to compare, as the images are sometimes better resolution than Google. You often have to zoom in quite a bit for the finer resolution to appear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts