Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm a new hunter looking at buying my first tree stand just wondering what everyone's thoughts are do I buy a hang on or ladder stand ? And what ones are working best for everyone. Or do I just build one out of wood ? Tho I do like the thought of be mobile.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would skip the wood stand. Unless it's private land you cant nail/screw anything into trees either.

Beyond that it depends what kind of hunting you're doing.

For mobile hang and hunt I would go with a Lonewolf Alpha 2 with 3-4 Lonewolf sticks. Extremely light with its cast aluminum platform, versatile, easy to set up, and silent. This is my preferred option since I tend to jump around a lot and rarely hunt the same tree twice in a season. I can be set up in a tree in 10-15 minutes without making a noise. Muddy also makes some decent hang-ons/sticks but I've never personally tried them.

If you're going to set up a stand and leave it there for the season a ladder stand will do. Or a cheaper/heavier hang on like a hawk or big game. I have a hawk hangon stand for bear hunting since it stays out for weeks and there is always a chance it might get stolen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks vovimir. This wìll be my first year for spring bear think a ladder stand for bear would be good then get a hang on for deer in fall as I hunt many locations. Any bears tips for me lol ?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There seems to be a lot of tree stands abandoned - both kinds..........metal and wood.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use a hang on type because I hang it in crappy inaccessible areas. It’s not easy to mount or get into.

If you are planning on putting it in an area where you can drop it off with a truck then get a ladder. If you’re hanging it in an area that is impossible to access, then get a hang on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, remove your tree steps if you leave a hang on in a spot that you think someone might tamper with your setup. I had a seat cushion and some tree steps stolen this past season.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it really a thing ppl stealing our stuff ? Can't imagine what kind of hunter would take other hunters stuff

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have gone ladder stands only now. More stable, easier to get seat level & can use a tree too skinny for a hang on. Sections fit on rear atv rack. I must add I’m a senior & feel safer & easier access to ladder stands.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One stand is never enough, I think I need one for every tree

The best stand would be built on and left on (only on private land)
Everything else has pros and cons, only you can know whats best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
This thread just reminded me I never took mine down.... :/ . Guess a road trip is in order sometime in the very near future. Good thing it's on private land ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts