Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high up do you prefer to place your stand. I've seen some of the guys in the hunting shows on TV place their stands 30, 40, even 50 feet up. That just scares the bejeepers out of me.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Years back where I hunt I came across a "stand" that was over 50 feet up in a poplar tree. The stand consisted of a sheet of plywood fixed into upper branches. These ingenious fellows would basically lay on that plywood. How they even got up there was beyond me. Can you imagine being up there in a wind? :shock: They also had a number of homemade bolt-on stands high up in poplar trees. With those stands they basically had to straddle the trees to sit in them. They were all scary to look at, never mind be up in.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the things that quickly became apparant with the tree stands placed over 30 feet up, was that the target area on the animal became increasingly smaller, the higher up they got due to the extreme angle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
One of the things that quickly became apparant with the tree stands placed over 30 feet up, was that the target area on the animal became increasingly smaller, the higher up they got due to the extreme angle.
Thats a great point Mike. The higher you go, the smaller the target becomes...yes you may not be seen or smelled by the deer when you are 30 feet up, but that doesn't much matter if ya can't hit the dang deer either.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Usually close to 20' with the quick-stiks... If i gotta crooked tree can be anywhere from 10-20' depending on where the best spot is on the tree... Sometimes I have to go higher to get some cover to break up my outline but usually the highest i'll go is 20' once it was about 26'...

Thats a great point about the size of the target area as you get higher, also the angle of the shot and point of impact of the arrow can change as well... A good rangefinder with ARC or simalar technology is a great asset once you start climbing higher... I've been bittin by that POI change once and now have a good Laser rangefinder and i range all my distances numerous times upon getting settled trying to leave as little room for human error as possible...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
canadian-ice said:
I find 15' - 17' is good enough. If you are in a tree where there is the risk of being spotted, take the time to camo in the stand. A few zip ties and a few spruce bows or leafy oak branches will usualy do the trick.
Nice tip. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.