Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you enjoy trapping, and what species do you target? When I was a kid, I used to trap muskrats to earn a little spending money. Today, it's extremely rare to hear a kid say trapping is one of his hobbies. Is there anything we can do to get more kids interested in it?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I took the course here the winter before last. Really just a formality to get legal for shooting coyotes. It was actually very informative and hands-on. It certainly killed two boring winter days. It also provided another perspective regarding all users of the resource. There were quite a few youngsters and teenagers taking the course. You need to book your spot in advance by calling the Manitoba Trappers Association. They only run two or three classes each winter and they are usually full.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have targeted muskrats, weasels, mink, coyotes, and fox. I had to take two years off to go to college but this year I will be back at it. :D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pembinavalley said:
I have targeted muskrats, weasels, mink, coyotes, and fox. I had to take two years off to go to college but this year I will be back at it. :D
Hope you have a great season!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would like to get a bit more into this however got quite a bit on my plate already with hunting/fishing, I like the stradegy behind trapping, good luck trapping.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Riggs said:
How many of you enjoy trapping, and what species do you target? When I was a kid, I used to trap muskrats to earn a little spending money. Today, it's extremely rare to hear a kid say trapping is one of his hobbies. Is there anything we can do to get more kids interested in it?
Take their MOMs Visa Card from them , money is too easy for young people today and no respect for money, when i was a kid was praised for making a little money trapping muskrats and mink.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
As a kid on the farm we would set traps mostly for rats and invaders like mink. If a mink makes his way into a chicken barn it is not uncommon for it to kill 20 to 30 chickens. They seem to kill for the fun of it.

·
2013 MHF Trail Cam contest Winner
207 Posts
Just getting ready for this years season, so far have taken a few beaver and some rats. Hope I have another great year like last.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
snomad said:
I took the course here the winter before last. Really just a formality to get legal for shooting coyotes. It was actually very informative and hands-on. It certainly killed two boring winter days. It also provided another perspective regarding all users of the resource. There were quite a few youngsters and teenagers taking the course. You need to book your spot in advance by calling the Manitoba Trappers Association. They only run two or three classes each winter and they are usually full.

Could you give me an example of the course content before I commit myself ? I am interested in trapping, I have some rural property and the opportunity is certainly there. P.M. if you like.......thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
snomad said:
I took the course here the winter before last. Really just a formality to get legal for shooting coyotes.
You don't have to take a course, I borrowed a binder at the local conservation office, then you write an exam on that content. But that course would probably be a better way to go.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sled-in said:
snomad said:
I took the course here the winter before last. Really just a formality to get legal for shooting coyotes.
You don't have to take a course, I borrowed a binder at the local conservation office, then you write an exam on that content. But that course would probably be a better way to go.
Thanks. Where is the exam written and under who's supervision ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I e-mailed MTA and this is the response I recieved.

"There is no date set for a TE course in your area right now. You could challenge the exam to get your certificate then take the course when one is available. It is my understanding that there MAY be an on line version of the manual for study purposes set up some time in the next month. District offices may have a copy that you could borrow. We will be having a course at Oak Hammock, but there is no date yet. May not be till March, depending on our contact people there. There is no set charge for the course, may be a small charge for the lunches depending on where the course is held. Courses usually run for two days, Saturday and Sunday."

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish the MTA would try to hold more courses, or at least have a set date so people can look forward to it. I borrowed the book from the Selkirk office. It was actually quite an interesting read so it was not a chore. I then went and challenged the test under the supervision of a NRO.

I do wish I was able to attend a trapper's ed course but I have made up for it by spending some time with some local trappers who are showing me the ropes. I find trapping very interesting because it involves really knowing the animal in order to catch it, then taking pride in handling that pelt in order to get a good price for it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
bulldog007 said:
How thourogh was the test.........??
A lot of it seems to be common sense. There is a section on wilderness first aid / survival. Also what traps are suitable for which species and basic pelt prep. The book covers it all, just leave a deposit with the office and borrow it.

I think all offices have the book to lend out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Smith said:
bulldog007 said:
How thourogh was the test.........??
A lot of it seems to be common sense. There is a section on wilderness first aid / survival. Also what traps are suitable for which species and basic pelt prep. The book covers it all, just leave a deposit with the office and borrow it.

I think all offices have the book to lend out.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow . Here in Ontario we have to pay to take the course and exam .

I've been trapping 40 years or more . I trap ,beaver ,marten.,fisher,muskrats,otter,wolf,fox ,****,mink,weasel and incidental squrrels .

TD

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Sorry for the late response, I have been away. The course had content about the types of animals (classifications), skinning techniques including hands-on, skinning tools, survival techniques, info on traps, snares, etc. Jump in anyone if I've missed stuff. Proper handling of pelts was obviously stressed. As mentioned, a trapped animal deserves that respect. The test covered all areas. If you were awake and paying attention you would pass. If I remember correctly there was no cost but a contribution towards lunch was appreciated. I joined the association as a token of appreciation too and the magazine you get is always an interesting read. The course for me was well worth the time even though I will not be trapping. The one I took was at NAFA so we could see examples of good and bad handling of pelts. Just get your name on a waiting list as I did and they will call you. I think they ran two courses with about 18 people that winter IIRC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your not late . Im early,, you and your post is worth the read . Good job .

Trapping is hard work . Catching the critters is the easiest part of the profession ,,,and yes it is a very skilled profession,. VERY few last the first year setting traps and skinning . Putting up good fur is an art , 1 out of 20 last beyond course once skinning starts to get stuff to the sale

TD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts