Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought Str8bobber had a good idea so here are a few pics of my own. Any wonder I have been living in the woods lately? :drool: :drool: :drool: [attachment=5:39hmjrrx]HUNT0016.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx][attachment=4:39hmjrrx]HUNT0011.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx][attachment=3:39hmjrrx]HUNT0010.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx][attachment=2:39hmjrrx]HUNT0002.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx][attachment=1:39hmjrrx]HUNT0003.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx][attachment=0:39hmjrrx]HUNT0006.JPG[/attachment:39hmjrrx]

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good for you. Have you heard, that if women live together long enough, their schedules aline aswell. Very strange. Pictures will be nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sick to my stomach. 12 hours of tracking an intermittent blood trail and 2 bloody beds. I've walked miles through the worst crap out there. It's like he disappeared. 25 yd shot that looked good and sounded like a branch breaking. I think I hit the shoulder blade. He bedded 50 yards away then a quarter mile away. Going back out there tomorrow. I have to find him. Like I said. I'm sick. :x

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try sneaking in very quietly and watch for magpies or crows, sometimes even if the deer is alive , the birds will follow, waiting for a meal. Maybe the smell of blood does this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I am definitely going to be looking for the birds. We have Lots of eagles here too and they generally don't take too long to find stuff like this. I don't plan on hunting for a while. At least till I know he is dead or alive. If dead I'm obviously tagging out and if alive, maybe I'll get a second try. I have never not found a deer and I don't plan on starting now. I've also got a few friends who live in the same area and hunt right there who have promised to finish him if they see him and call me. I'm shooting Rage so I know there's a good hole there. Hope I find him tomorrow.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you have someone with you send that person 500 to 600 hundred yards ahead, by circling around, if you can figure out where the buck is going. In really big bush ofcourse this can't be done easily. The deer may still be very cautious but if really ill may be slighty careless as to where he is going, but focus mostly on what is following him. This slight imparment may give you the edge. Use trail marker to mark his trail, this may come in handy if you lose the blood trail. I hit a deer once and it snowed 3 to 4 inches very quickly. I stuck to trails, checking evey few feet, by clearing snow, and each time it came to a y I got down on my hands and knees and slowly cleared the snow away. Some places so thick I had to crawl. I found that deer. If unsure do not walk on the trail, stay off to the side as not to destroy faint blood trail. Two people tracking works best. Each time coming to a y each taking a trail until evidence is found. Over night the deer may not be bleeding anymore, but a wounded deer tends, not to walk neatly in the bush and will turn over more leaves than normal, watch for this as well. Good Luck. etc. etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not looking good. I've spent hours and hours and hours on my knees both praying and searching only to find an ever lessening blood trail. He beds for the night and bleeds some there and 20 yards after be moves, it dries up. No blood whatsoever. With the "Crack" I heard on impact, I am positive I hit a shoulder bone. After inspecting the broadhead I only got less than 2 inches of penetration. The blood is muscle bleed. No major veins or organs. My thought is that he will be damn sore for a while and will probably be fine ish. I think he will live.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
That's a real good news, bad news story. Sorry for you man. What broadhead were u using?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sorry to hear you didn't find him, i've been there before and it sucks. But hopefully he lives and you never know maybe you'll get another crack at him. If nothing else hopefully you get a glimpse of him while hunting or on the trail cams to confirm he lived.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right. In my 30 years of hunting its the first time its happened. It doesn't lessen the frustration tho. Sounds bad but I wish it happened to any of the does in gun season. Not this one. Anyway, enough whimpering and whining. Can't change it now. To answer your ?, I shoot Rage 2 blade, 28.5" Carbon Express Rebel lite at 53 lb draw and luminoks with a Champion Stratus bow. Shoots this at 231 fps through heights chrono.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts