Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I usually take a back seat to posting this but here goes...

Mass shootings.... by kids.

I can't grasp it, and never will. There was one recently again in the states.

Here's my issue, not that I shouldn't have one regardless with it.

I grew up and had some trouble as a kid in school, many of us did, teased, bullied, didn't fit into one certain group. I had rough days but had a good family backing and worked through it and I have become extremely successful person in my adult life. Life isn't easy but you role with the punches.

Now my children are going through similar things in school. Unfortunately that is something that will always happen in our society, people can just be plain mean and lash out when they hurt which can cause others hurt.

Now for some background info, I'm any avid outdoors guy, always have been. I hunt and shoot and have various firearms in various classes. My children are taught to respect firearms and know their use. They also don't have access unless I allow it and are supervised. Locked in a safe they have no idea how to open. We are responsible.

Now to carry on.

Here's my problem, not once no matter how bad I had it as a kid did i wanna remove someone from this earth. I talked with my parents about things that bothered me. I do the same with my children now. They are taught to difuse situations best as possible.

If things escalate they are taught to defend themselves, nothing more. Talk is best but if pushed fists will back u up. Not once have they ever been told to inflict pain. Only defend and remove themselves.

So I ask how the he!! are children getting guns and shooting peers? It's insane and needs to end. Society needs to change and pay attention to their children and help them through life. It's our duty as parents.

Just bewildered with these shootings is all, this is meant to spark positive feedback not negative.

This is meant to be a discussion so please be civil and stay on track so it doesn't get locked.

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I went throw some hard times in school as well and would never consider doin the things these people are doin. As I'm sure most people can say. And like you said now my kids are goin throw same thing in school. It's not the guns it's a mental health crisis and the left is so stuck on taking all the guns to fix the problem they can't see this. Instead they waste billions of dollars on gun control. If we spent the same money on mental health and how to catch these problem people before they carry out these acts. If they can't get guns they will use cars trucks and whatever other devices they see fit. I for one would love to see a plan put in place for this mental health crisis and just stop with this gun control nonsense. Stats Canada has all the stats to back that gun control is not the answer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
pay attention to their children and help them through life. It's our duty as parents.
I think this is one of, if not the biggest issues. There are a lot of broken families and people out there which I think leads to the mental/personal issues. As parents we have to be the ones to teach and raise them to be good adults. It starts at home. This doesn't mean that they won't go their own way but at least they can begin on the right path.

·
Registered
147 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44pg6iGfoU[/ame]

You often hear 'i blame their parents' and 'I don't know whats wrong with kids these days, we weren't like that'

Well, to be honest, we don't parent children like we used to.

The above video is only a small part of what Dr. Peterson shares on the subject of children and development. Feel free to go down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've told this story before but I'll never forget one afternoon in high school. A girl in our class who was notorious for taking our teachers onto a time wasting discussion tangent asked of our teacher (and vice principal): "Mr. D, what would you do if someone brought a gun to school"? He replied with "they would be expelled from school". The boys and I at the back of the class exchanged worried glances. Our concern was that we didn't know if she knew but we all had guns in our cars parked just outside the class window. We're we going to shoot up the school? Of course not - that wasn't even anywhere near the radar. Our plan was that as we did almost every week, we were heading to the gravel pits after school for some target shooting.

I'm of the same camp here as most....I don't get how this has become a "thing". But I am glad that I seems to not really a thing here in Canada. I think it's indicative of a much bigger societal problem in the U.S. It might be as simple as loss of respect for their fellow man (of the peoplekind, not mankind). Yes I just went there too....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Never thought I would see peoplekind on here !!! It's worse then I thought lol.
If ur not a ccfr member join !!! Big changes coming our way even if ur a hunter that's uses a bolt. You may not be the first to have it taken away but when their done with the other groups believe me you will be the next

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Its a combination of several things........poor or non existent parenting, the American gun culture ( which is very different from Canadians ) the American "in your face" attitude, access to firearms without proper checks - checks that are very loosely processed - the almost rabid firearms promotions of the NRA and loss of respect for the authorities.

I am not anti American by any stretch of the imagination, but if you do a comparison of any of those individual values Canadian/American, I think you would have to agree there is a very wide difference of applications north and south of the '49th.

J.M.O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.