Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can no longer draw a bow due to a rotator cuff tear, so I'd like to give hunting with a crossbow a try. I honestly have no clue about what to look for in a crossbow, so any advise is welcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Riggs,

A few things that I would look for in a crossbow would be reliability and comfort.
You want to be comfortable with whatever it is you choose to hunt with, whether its a bow, rifle, crossbow ect.

There are many manufacturers of crossbows these days, some new, some have been around for a long time. Personally I like recurve crossbows (such as excalibur) over compound crossbows for the simple fact that they are more reliable, with less moving parts this means less things to go wrong.

The appeal to compound crossbows usually relates to speed. Which don't get me wrong is nice, but realistically speaking, even the slowest excalibur crossbow going 285fps will kill whatever you want to hunt in manitoba.
The compound crossbow makers are always in a race to see who can have the fastest quietest most compact unit out there, and I feel they sometimes try to push the limits too far, resulting in unreliable products. (This is a generalization, not necesarilly ture in all cases)

Your best bet is to go try a few out and see what fits you, and what will suit your needs for hunting.

Good luck
Allan

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I saw a crossbow on Wild TV the other day that had a backwards oriented bow on it. The fellow stuck it out the side window on a hard shell elevated blind. If he had fired it the bow limb would have whacked the side of the blind throwing his shot way off. I wonder if that event was edited out? :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was probably the Horton Fury. They are incredibly narrow, 17.5" at rest and 13.5" when cocked. its a pretty neat looking design. Might have to try one soon.

Allan

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea...most times the simpler, the better. Less to break or go wrong.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have an excaliber, and although wider than a compound, it is fantastic. It is fun to shoot, and if you do your part, the animals will drop

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can't say for sure but in talking to someone from Ontario who hunts with a crossbow often is that the excalibur may be a very good bow but being an all metal design it tends to be very loud. So when they have shot the animal hears it easily (the twang) and ducks the arrow (so to speak). I do not use one so I have no first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have shot side by side with a couple buddy's and my recurve is, by FAR, quieter than their compounds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes but this is not a question of recurve versus compound but lets say both recurve one in all metal frame the other with partially wooden frame.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Oh sure... there ya go... trying to compare apples to apples again! lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been looking at these for a while too. The appeal is that I don't have to commit my life to it to shoot well (no shortage of hobbies in my life!). Even though I'd be restricted to ML and rifle seasons the appeal of close up hunting with a quiet weapon is very attractive.

Interesting comments on recurve vs compound styles.

What's the real life range of a crossbow, maintaining acceptable accuracy on deer sized game?

·
Registered
653 Posts
How far is Manitoba from making crossbows legal archery equipment?
Might help get more hunters out in areas with higher deer densaties.

As far as how much of an advantage does a cross bow have? It would depend on the shooter, ballistics aren't much different, but there isn't any drawing on game or holding at full draw.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
sled-in said:
How far is Manitoba from making crossbows legal archery equipment?
Might help get more hunters out in areas with higher deer densities.
Very far. The justification being that if x-bows are allowed in archery seasons then they'll have to be allowed in archery draw seasons too. Our provincial officials responsible for making wildlife management decisions and providing input into policy do not want people hunting elk in an archery season with a x-bow.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just read an article a few weeks ago about where crossbows were allowed and was wondering why we weren't open to it yet, thanks Andre.

but it does lead me to ask why is it that they don't want elk hunted with a crossbow? Is it just that it would displace real bow hunters?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
sled-in said:
I just read an article a few weeks ago about where crossbows were allowed and was wondering why we weren't open to it yet, thanks Andre.

but it does lead me to ask why is it that they don't want elk hunted with a crossbow? Is it just that it would displace real bow hunters?
I'm not sure exactly. Although I suspect that x-bows are considerably more accurate than compound, recurve and long bows. You might want to ask one of our big game biologists next time you see one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
André said:
[quote="sled-in":3v7ylf1p]How far is Manitoba from making crossbows legal archery equipment?
Might help get more hunters out in areas with higher deer densities.
Very far. The justification being that if x-bows are allowed in archery seasons then they'll have to be allowed in archery draw seasons too. Our provincial officials responsible for making wildlife management decisions and providing input into policy do not want people hunting elk in an archery season with a x-bow.[/quote:3v7ylf1p]
With a cross bow that might mean more harvesting of elk. But hey let the natives run rampid with spot lights. You pull this trick as a white guy your in jail. But wait for it. Wait. Wait. The animal is still dead from a white guy or treaty guys bullet. On one side jail. On the other the CO's cringe in disgust

·
Registered
1 Posts
If crossbows are more accurate Andrea then isnt that a good thing, less wounded animals I think. Anyways why is a crossbow more accurate, its the archer that shoots it, the bow doesnt shoot its self? We had this discussion years ago on a another forum, i shoot a compound first off but I dont see any reason why crossbows arent permitted in any archery situation. For those that disagree I challenge you to try shooting one, not as easy as some people think. Think of it this way, have you ever missed a animal with a rifle? I personally know of some traditional archers(longbow) that cant see how that can happen. If it gets more hunters out in the field, then great for our sport. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Were allowed here in Ontario to use crossbows for any archery season and apply for tags . It's still archery and x-bows go back in history to around the same time as regular bows .

With crossbows you still have to get in close to the animal no different than a bow . The kill zone and range is exactly the same .

Excalibur is an excellent x-box and they have some awesome complete pkg deals .

TD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts