Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks,
My plan was to use muzzle loading season as a time to get out and scout for rifle season, but when this ole boy walked out there was no hesitation. There's a long story to go along with this buck, but didn't end up killing him with a firearm or bow. Killed two coyotes and this once in a lifetime hawg of a buck. Put the tape on him when we got home, grosses 170 3/8". Guaranteed there isn't a happier guy right now.Two archery does, and this guy down, now my season is over
Enjoy,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sure i can, was gonna wait because i'm trying to finish an assignment for university, but then i gave my head a shake and got my priorities back in line.
So i forgot about the daylight savings time sunday morning, so ended up having to sneak into stand an hour late. A little while into the sit, saw a doe crash outta the bush, and she was acting a little nervous to what was behind her so i shouldered the muzzle loader and got ready for what was to come. Then this hawg stepped out nose to the ground and stopped at 150 yards, pow... whack,.... smoke clear, doe raised tail running away and nothing else. The deer were in high grass so i couldn't tell where i had hit the buck but definitely heard the hit. I wasn't about to bump a deer this big so i backed out quietly and waited nervously back at the cabin for 3 hours. Actually on the way back to the cabin i ended up shooting a yote but that's another story.
After three hours of drinking coffee and eating some food to try to calm down we get back out to the scene. Where he dropped there was a pile of blood, then smearing blood for about 10 yards and another 10 yards of normal dripping blood trail, then nothing... oh s..t. Got that knotted up feeling when i figured i had a non-fatal hit and this deer of a lifetime was gonna walk. started patterning the bush to try and recover this buck in case he was infact dead. Me and my buddy were 100 yards, when i heard him call my name, and say "i think i'm on his trail" . I started walking quickly over to where i heard his call, when i heard "Get over here i see him!!!!" , instant adrenaline, and i ran like RAMBO through the bush towards the call. When i saw the white from his belly i shouldered the gun and put it on him and click... no time to put a new primer on, this boy was gettin up to go. I dropped the gun on the ground, and Brad at this point was 10 yards from the deer, and as he was getting up he grabbed his main beam and threw him back down to the ground and pinned him. I cleared the distance to the buck as fast as possible while unbuttoning my knife off my hip. "COME JUBE HIM" i could hear Brad yelling. When i got to the buck i got in behind the shoulder a dozen times with the knife, trying to get this over with as fast as possible. After 30 seconds of hand to hand, this deer shakes Brad off, nearly rolls over me and gets up right inbetween us, runs 10 yards crashes in some willows, i chase him and pin him down. Brad gets out his knife and stabbed him a couple times on the other side then i told him to just cut the throat (were trying to save the cape but this was getting to close, we had to). Finally, after we're both bloody and sweaty, the Time Square buck is out of air and lay before us.
Needless to say, looking back it may not have been the best idea to wrestle with a buck with 10 inch tines, but neither of us were willing to let this thing get awayy, and we got r' done.
Sorry for the long story, but hopefully worth the read.
Thanks
TX

Reactions: Riggs

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
MY oh My! Awsome story and an awsome buck! Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
EPIC! The story itself is worthy of being in some sort of record book just like the Summit Series is in the Hockey Hall of Fame! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! Where's the hand clapping icon?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great buck! I had a good chuckle reading your story, that would have been a $#\t show to watch. Glad it turned out and nobody got hurt.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've had to finish a deer that way too but it was just a little guy; not as exciting a story.
The best part of this story (besides the awesome deer) is that you and your buddy actually have a name for this process, like it's something you have to do all the time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Awesome deer Rambo!! Fortunatly it did not go the other way.
An animal like that could easily have turned on you and well, you know!
I really don't want that much 'adventure' on my hunt. :)
Quite the story in any case.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts