Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just want to give you guys the heads up, I was out at the Shoal Lakes (The Interlake ones) After the hunt I carried my birds back to the truck and noticed that there were quite a few bugs on them. Put the birds in a plastic bag and drove home. Just went out to start cleaning them for dinner and the plastic bag was covered in these little parasitic bugs. I wasn't the regular duck lice that you come across where there might be a couple on each bird. There were much smaller and there must have been 100 - 150 all in the bag. In addition on Rinneck there must had been at least 6 leeches all wriggling around the bill and one wing, and not just tiny ones but big 2" inchers!

Earlier in the day I put on my waders and went for a walk on hwy 415 and noticed at least 1/2 dozen dead ducks as well as other animals. Not sure if it's botulism but with the conditions I saw and the weather that we've been having, just a word of warning. I won't be back until we start to get some cold weather!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you recall if the one with the leeches was in flight, or sitting on water when you shot it, if on water, was he there a while or just landed ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've seen what appears to be small lobster looking creatures there about 3 or so years ago. White and about 3/16 of an inch long. I was there today and only saw lice but I have seen leeches there, especially close to shore.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think those things we saw were freshwater shrimp.
2 of us took 8 BW teal along with a shoveler to night in that crazy wind..

·
Registered
43 Posts
i went out yesterday morning, didnt do so great only managed 1 teal. I saw a bunch of freshwater shrimp looking creatures attached to the bottom of a couple decoys. All the birds ive taken out of there this year have been clean.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
fishincleatus said:
Should take one in to conservation and they might have a answer for you as to what the mite or lice critters may be
Chris works for Ducks Unlimited so I'm sure that their biologists would know exactly what those critters are. Any updates Chris?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I described what I found on the birds I shot, however I didn't take a close look at them at the time but the biologists thought from my description they would be a type of freshwater shrimp. Never seen so many on any birds I have ever shot before.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those critters are fresh water shrimp. We outfit out on Lake Francis and find these on diver ducks all the time. We believe that is what they feed on as well. As far as I know, they do no harm to the bird, and the birds are fine for consumption. They are found mainly in the South Eastern corner of Lake Francis. AS far as leeches go, I have never seen any in those areas.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I was in college we used to Grace Lake allot up in The Pas. We would always find tons of freshwater shrimp on our birds up there. Going to head up to the Shoal Lakes with a buddy for an evening shoot after work in Gimli today. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few birds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts