Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of us went on a fly in moose hunt WAY north of Thompson. There is no access to this area unless with a plane. Fourth day of the hunt we are fishing hoping to get a quick feed of walleye for dinner. East of us there is a pane flying maybe 75 yards high. Doesn't take a genius to fiqure it's either going to crash or it's CO's. Turns out its the later. For the 5 plus minutes it took for them to land I could have baked a cake. They made some nice tight circles tree top high on one of our moose spots. They land there plane, not just any float plane, a giant turbo otter. Why not take a 185 or a beaver? So we have two CO's, one mountie, one pilot, plus fuel, plus maintenance doing checks. They checked our hooks, checked to see if we had loaded guns (didn't) checked our licences. I had my moose tag in my pack but hunter's safety and my fishing licence at camp. They NEARLY fired up that big plane again to go 3 miles to our camp to see our hunter's safety. Could these checks not have been done at the float plane base? I would like to hear 1 case only one where all this expense justified the cost of flying in on a lake. On a side note, my friend got a 52.5 bull.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Amazing! Congrats on your friend's nice Bull. :pictures:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on the moose.

I am thinking the plane is under contract with the department and if so cost is the cost flying or not.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yeah they supposedly fly into all the moose camps up here in 17A too... I seen the CO trucks at the air base the other day, so they must be doing checks...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here is a thought, just throwing it out there...maybe while flying they could be doing the deer survey that hasn't happend in 20 years...but what am I thinking? If it makes sense don't do it!

Reactions: Wehrwolf87

·
Registered
355 Posts
When we were checked last year on our fly in the co's flew up with bisset are i believe and my buddies were checked again this year. Just doing they're jobs!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
When we were checked last year on our fly in the co's flew up with bisset are i believe and my buddies were checked again this year. Just doing they're jobs!
Yeah Blue water Aviation here in town fly's them around up here... And I agree its good to see some enforcement!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah it's expensive but there still needs to be a presence in the out of the way places too. There's a lot of things that can't be checked from the dock.
Also, although doing aerial surveys sounds like a good idea there is still a ton of canopy out there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Envorcement at what cost patty? We flew 55 miles paid near a grand each for flight. How do they justifly blowing there budget doing hunter's safety checks. Still waiting to here one single case where there fly in got a fine of of paying there expenses. This isn't a couple kids flying in with Grandpas junk 30-30 after a moose.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
thepatriot said:
Envorcement at what cost patty? We flew 55 miles paid near a grand each for flight. How do they justifly blowing there budget doing hunter's safety checks. Still waiting to here one single case where there fly in got a fine of of paying there expenses. This isn't a couple kids flying in with Grandpas junk 30-30 after a moose.
I could care less about the cost... Personally I think most guys get away with enough as it is... If they caught one person doing something wrong it is worth it in my mind... These resources need policed and if that means that some of my hard earned tax dollars go to cover flight costs than so be it... I'm sure that they don't do it for no reason, and lets face it, there is idiots on fly out hunts too... Co's know this or they wouldn't waste their time and our money doing fly out checks...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Been checked by flying CO's on hunting and fishing trips. Getting checked is just part of the process of the activity. See nothing wrong with, as it has been said just doing their jobs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Patriot here is how they justify the cost. It's very simple. As long as guys knows that there is a chance they could end up being checked they are less likely to be breaking the law.
If guys were out there and they knew that by being out so far there would be no chance of getting checked because the cost to patrol out there was just to much then thee would be allot more infractions happenning.

That in itself justifies the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
IMO IF you can afford to do a fly out,that means you are probable smart enough to have a license,Therefore shame on you all CO'S for scraring away all the moose with circling the area and spooking everything.Why not just go to basecamp and check everything there instead? but with less and less people buying licences, the stupid NDP government wont be able to fly you guys around much longer because the government will be so bad in dept that i predict less officers in the future,in my books i will have no problem with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
having watched this post evolve, I thought I would add my two cents (for what they are worth). I am a "CO" who for the last 13 years patroled the Pine Falls/Bissett area. Our area, and the district to the north, is largely inaccesable by truck, therefore float plane in the summer/fall, and snowmobile in the winter, are the only way to access this vast tract of land. I have noted on other sites, individuals question "CO's" snowmobiling to check anglers, and other posts questioning aircraft patrols. So in answer to Patriot's post,the end does justify the mean; on both patrol methods-loaded firrearms, untagged moose, wastage, numerous fishery offences,and investigating complaints of wrong sex are some of the offences we encounter. I always find it ironic that when there is an issue, web users complain about lack of enforcement, but when there is enforcement, some complain about it! Thanks to all who support the thankless job we do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah when i go on my $1500.00 fly out moose trips with my $2500.00 in gear i usually just say eff the 52 dollar lisence. (rolling eyes). Plus not having a life jscket in a 14 ft tinner with a 9 hp motor is probably 10000000000 times less dangerous than the float plane ride into camp anways. Resources could be used elsewhere IMO. I do compliment the effort though and there definitely are the odd bad apples that wreck it for everyone else.

Good heads up on the hunters safety card though. I got mine 15 years ago and its been washed 34 times, shredded twice and for sure contains 3 or more species of blood on it. I will remember to place the pieces (whats left of it) in a zip lock in case i get stopped. (maybe its time to upgrade from the construction paper ones they gave out :p?).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
highlandglen guide said:
Can the job not be done at the float plane base?

G

·
highlandglen guide said:
Same co's checked us this year, thought it was there plan and the pilot was hired?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts