Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last day of the season...you decide to leave your stand with a half hour left and still hunt your way back to your vehicle. You jump these 3 bucks that were chasing a hot doe....she sees you and bolts, the bucks following.

175 yards and getting further
Weapon: Rifle of your choice

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
i would not shoot right in the ass but with my 30-06 i would try for a neck shot if they were not stopping or if the angle didnt change

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
With a .300 Win Mag and a 180 grain X Bullet, with a solid rest...yea, I'd take that shot, as long as they're standing or walking, but not running.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One tail up and two down. They r not to scared....I'd let out a yell and see if they stop then with a good rest try the shot.Have used the ''yell" many times and works well.I would not take the running away shot....years ago yes.....
Still if they did run and you have half hour left of season,those bucks would not be to far away and still enough time to do a stalk.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigolebuck said:
One tail up and two down. They r not to scared....I'd let out a yell and see if they stop then with a good rest try the shot.Have used the ''yell" many times and works well.I would not take the running away shot....years ago yes.....
Still if they did run and you have half hour left of season,those bucks would not be to far away and still enough time to do a stalk.
My thoughts exactly...try to stop them or just let them go into the trees...looks like there could possibly be a coulee that they are headed towards, they may stop in there and offer you a shot opportunity if you stalk up to it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
not for me, i'm pretty precise with my 7mm, but not a fan of a deer turned away from me... perhaps a yell to see if one stops and turn's its hea around for a look, but have seen a couple (too many) neck shot deer that will run for a day if not hit where it counts

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd stand in shock. I could have a RPG and I still wouldn't be able to shoot id be stunned at seeing those three monsters shoulder to shoulder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
can't decide on the middle or right buck, but if they gave me some more angle, at least a decent quartering away angle, they'd be getting a visit by Dr. 300WSM

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn't even hestitate at taking a shot. That rifle would be on my shoulder in a blink of an eye and a volley of bullets would be headed there way. Good snow base for tracking and an easy distance shooting at 170 yards. You hit that deer anywhere with a 300 and hes in trouble. Ive seen a deer shot from the backside. Entrance wound was the tar star and it didnt make it 50 yards. It would be hard to decide which one to shoot at though thats for sure. I would just pick one and stick too it though and not focus on the horns. Chances of getting close again after they bust you are virtually nil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The buck in the middle would be headed for a final nap. My 190 grain bullet from my 300 would put some chewy burgers on the BBQ and a rack in my garage .i am very confident in my shooting. Those who know me would agree

·
Registered
16 Posts
pass them up. they each have the chance to breed there genes.

option 1. you add a few deer to your area by letting them breed

option 2. you lose one of your better breeding bucks because of a wounded animal and there adrenaline while in rut. (iv seen em run for miles with guts hanging out of the bottom of their stomachs)

option 3. you miss and never speak of what just happened, because no one will believe you. <---- well over 50% of people pick option 3. lol.

option 4. you take a pee filled buck with a swollen neck. your meat becomes all hamburger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts