Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walking out from your treestand bow in hand...you hear something coming fast...down on one knee, slight breeze toward the buck, 30 yards...what would you do?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Unless he gives me a better angle, I do nothing... Better to hope he doesn't see or smell you and you can get a shot another day... But if he turns and shows me an angle, its go time!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'd pass on the shot, and hope he turns, offering a better angle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What can you do except hold still and cross your fingers that an ethical shot presents itself. Odds are with the buck already wary and onto you, plus the wind towards him all you're going to see is a white tail high tailing it outta there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would wait also for him to turn but......................those Rage broadheads have a 2" cutting diametre so would you think that a shot right in the center of the white patch would not sever his jugular and he would bleed to death?Might be a little longer tracking but still I think the job would be done......

·
Registered
106 Posts
Easy to say what i would do when i'm sitting at a computer, hard to say what would happen in the moment. This is one i've pondered quite a bit, i've never been faced with this shot while holding a bow, so i haven't had to decide yet. Friends have killed deer at this angle with good success, but it would feel risky. One thing i've learned while bowhunting is that if you have to think twice about the shot, most of the time you shouldn't be taking it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would wait until his head is turning one side or the other and he is bending his knees in a down ward motion. This happens in a blink of eye or less,lol. They dig in for a full speed turn, like a crazy on a dirt bike doing a 180, low sharp dirt fly'n turn. Most shots are missed like this because we always forget, they drop down 6 to 8 inches and we shoot over, to busy thinking about the lead on the shoulder. Now, for me too riskie of a shot. Tall grass always messed up my shots But, if you are one of those bow hunters that can drop geese on the fly, it's a give me!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had exactly this situation happen to me last year. Was walking a quad trail after the morning sit ,came across a couple of bucks grazing together. He (5x5)was grazing towards me with a 4x4. I waited till he took a few steps, looked like he was going to give me a broadside shot, so I pulled back the bow. Well he saw the last 3" of my draw, and locked on to me. We stood there staring at each other for what seemed like an eternity. I held it till I couldn't hold it any longer. I tried ever so slowly to side step behind some trees while relaxing my draw. Foot hit a dead branch laying on the ground, *SNAP*, stumbled, never saw the bucks again. So to answer your question, pass on the shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts