Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks bigolebuck for starting this!

Stalking through the bush...80 yards, muzzleloader, wind in your face 20km but swirling in the trees...dry crunchy leaves under foot....

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well within range.He's alert.... maybe heard your last step or smells you a bit as wind is swirling.He will either stand up giving you a better body shot....which is what I would wait for...or he'll bolt up and start running.I would never take the neck shot as I hate those.If he turned his head the opposite way you would have a nice shoulder shot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'd get a steady rest, he isn't going to bolt, so a good shot is coming.
I'm really hoping to get a shot like this this year, saw a good buck in his bed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I concur with the previous posts. Now is not the time to panic, but to freeze. Keep an eye on his ears, they are searching for the sound he just heard, if you move too much he will zero in on you instantly. Wait for him to relax. When he is not looking at or near you, slowly and quietly get ready for a shot once he stands and presents the vitals better. Just try to keep the sound of your heartbeat from scaring him into the neighbours bush! :recon:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome idea, thanks for starting these guys.

I've never used muzzle loader but with a rifle I would take a neck shot on this from 85 yards... at least if he seemed at all agitated. If he seemed COMPLETELY unaware of me I would probably find a good rest and wait for him to stand, but from 85 yards this seems like an easy neck shot.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd sit still and wait for him to get up, then let him have it. I'm not too keen on neck or head shots.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After viewing this picture again I decided I would wait and not take the shot...... cause..........I look the way he's looking and here comes a GIANT double drop tine non typical that would score in the low 300 inches and totaly unaware of me standing there.....yep...... thats what I'd do........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bigolebuck, you would be mistaken. I shot that double drop tine last week , so there' s no way he's be in front of you now!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Wow, that's what I call a left turn at Albequerqie (sp). Besides, it was a typical 6x6 around 193. :shotgun:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'd take the shot, providing I was confident in the ML and I didn't think I was getting a better opportunity... One in the neck he isn't going nowhere!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts