Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you usually carry as a survival kit when you're out in the bush? My kit consists of a whistle, signal mirror, small hand ax, a small wire type saw, swiss army knife, flashlight with spare batteries and bulb, fire starter (cotton balls covered with petroleum jelly), waterproof matches, compass, topo map of the area, space blanket, dry socks, small roll of toilet paper, roll of 2" adhesive tape, ace bandage, small first aid kit, small water filter, a tin of sardines, a couple of chocolate bars, and a gallon zip lock bag of trail mix.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What do you usually carry as a survival kit when you're out in the bush? My kit consists of a whistle, signal mirror, small hand ax, a small wire type saw, swiss army knife, fire starter (cotton balls covered with petroleum jelly), waterproof matches, compass, topo map of the area, space blanket, dry socks, small roll of toilet paper, roll of 2" adhesive tape, ace bandage, small first aid kit, small water filter, a tin of sardines, a couple of chocolate bars, and a gallon zip lock bag of trail mix.
most of the time non of the above im so stupid sometimes i really need to change before things go west one day. Great list mike going to put something like that together right now if not i wont before the next time i go out

·
Registered
557 Posts
Waterproof matches, cotton balls in Vaseline, compass, cell phone, gps, first aid kit, granola bars and trail mix, water, small saw, flashlight and extra batteries. As for azzwipe, I carry TP with me all the time hunting and fishing, not sure if it is exactly survival equipment but it sure as hell beats leaves and grass! I also have a Spot messenger I'll bring along for any really remote outings. For caribou hunting we rent a satellite phone. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items, it sucks carrying it all but the odd time you need it you sure as hell makes you happy you brought it all.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's like insurance...you won't miss it until you need it, and don't have it. I don't carry a cell phone because most of the areas I hunt are so remote that there's no signal. I do like your idea of the GPS unit though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
it all depends on the kind of hunting/fishing trip i'm doing. But i have all of the standards, waterproof matches and firestarter, space blankets, saw, etc. Also a good thing to take along is a tin cup and a spoon, the tin cup works good for boiling water/ melting snow in a fire, as well as using it to eat out of. I carry afew packs of instant oatmeal, instant coffee and sugar mix and some trail mix usually. Another good tip is to use a foodsaver or other type of machine that seals and sucks all the air out of a bag. I use it to seal dry socks that go into my survival pack, you would be surprised how small a pair of socks can get lol. By sealing everything that you want to keep dry, you can fit alot more stuff into your pack. Its better to have stuff with you and not use it, then to need something and not have it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
same as above but also including, 8 hour glow sticks, snare wire, a spool of heavy mono fishing line ($4 per roll red wolf from canadian tire), fox-40 whistle, "eat-more" bars as survival ration (store great in goo, solid or frozen brick form), reflective signal mirror and a decent stainless steel k-bar clone with a waterproof compartment in the hilt ($5 buy from canadian tire reduced from $35 but i have no idea who priced that item :roll: )

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
A couple of items to add would be a spare set of batteries for the GPS and I use a headband or cap peak type of led light. These are great for getting out of the bush after dark because they are hands free. I also carry some rope and one of those shoulder harness type drags for pulling a deer out. I always carry a lighter in addition to matches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts