Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new in Manitoba wilderness,pointing dog user always behind woodcock,red partridge and quail for a lot of years I would like to start hunting next fall and in the meantime hike forests and trails to find my prefered spots.
Best way to start,any advice to avoid problems?
I am thinking about taking first Hunting and PAL license and buying a shotgun,however until been able to get a pointing dog and train it I will have a time for being a walking shotgun hunter on his own.
I like hunting in motion so I think my first objetive should be grousse and partridge,but I have not experience with geese,ducks and hares is possible to hunt then with in motion or need to be lying in the ground waiting.

Thank you very much any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I am in the same boat!! I will be getting my pal some time asap to start the process for next year. My puppy actually state side right now getting trained(GSP). I will be getting him back in the next couple weeks!
I have been scouting the pages to find the best place to hike him till next year but not many spots stick out yet!!
I would love to hear any advice for a newbie too!
Thanks
Zack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Chris I hadn´t any notice about that,I will be there and see what´s going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much.

At this stage I have been at sandilands and Mars sandhills.

Sandilands looks a good place for grousse and woodcock,don´t know if there are too many hares because I only saw one rabbit the last time I went.
I haven´t gone far away because after been hunting for around 35 years I know perfectly which can be the big problems in the forest and being lost happens really easy.
I saw lots of bear footprints,some targets and even seats around,still I am not very confortable in too bear country covered forests,however the feeling was good,also much easier to walk than the place I used to hunt before full of hills.
Sometimes I felt like if someone was watching me and were lots of bear footprints and what I think was recent pooh so I left the place.
I think can be a good place to start however need good spots and in my experience you only get them spending lots of time out there.

In Mars sandhills the experience was annoying,I went with children on sunday for hiking and mushroom picking and as soon as we arrived we saw like tree motorcycles going fast in the trail,so we decided to go along the forest and after some minutes someone started shooting with a rifle without stoping with short breaks of seconds,each time we were moving futher we hear the shoot louder so for security we went back to the car.
The place was great for hunting but it doesn´t look too safe because of the kind of shooting,is it always that way?

Now need to check some northern points that from the computer research I made they look good,however without dog upland hunting never is the same.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thank you very much.

At this stage I have been at sandilands and Mars sandhills.

In Mars sandhills the experience was annoying,
The place was great for hunting but it doesn´t look too safe because of the kind of shooting,is it always that way?

Now need to check some northern points that from the computer research I made they look good,however without dog upland hunting never is the same.

Thank you very much
Mars sandhills is a very familiar shooting and sighting in area,so it is common to hear high power rifles shooting there throughout the year.
Have you taken a drive north of Inwood there is Sandridge,Clematis,Narcisse and Sharpwood WMA both hold ruffies and sharptail.Check out the link below for WMA areas.

http://gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/habcons/wmas/index.html

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't worry about bear, if they smell or hear you they're gone before you know they were even there.
If carrying a gun makes you feel better do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts