Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This section doesn't seem to have much activity? Does that mean that this site is mostly big game hunter and waterfowlers? I have been pretty well a big game guy most of my life but last couple years have re discovered the simple pleasure of bird hunting. Bought a Brittany which I'm training and was hoping to drive out your way next year ( 2013 ) and hopefully find some Hungarians or Sharptails? Is this something a non resident can do by himself?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Where I'm from (Southeastern Pennsylvania), I hunt Morning Doves and Wild Turkey. Lots of both around. There's very little in the way of Pheseant hunting around here, for wild birds anyway. The state stocks birds on the State Game Lands, but it looks like a pumpkin patch out there, with all the orange coats and hats...too crowded for me. The only Pheasant hunting I do any more, is when I'm on a big game hunt in Montana or the Dakotas.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
terrym said:
This section doesn't seem to have much activity? Does that mean that this site is mostly big game hunter and waterfowlers? I have been pretty well a big game guy most of my life but last couple years have re discovered the simple pleasure of bird hunting. Bought a Brittany which I'm training and was hoping to drive out your way next year ( 2013 ) and hopefully find some Hungarians or Sharptails? Is this something a non resident can do by himself?
Yes to non-residents hunting upland or migratory birds on their own in Manitoba!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I go for chickens when im on the deer trip or when I can't get into a field for some geese. I have only used a dog once, went with my uncle and his golden would go a head and push them high into the trees, where we would call him back and then take a shot.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love ruffies!!! Like to take the .22 and go for head shots, kinda spot and stalk if you like, It great fun and helps improve my accuracy for the bigger critters...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no experience hunting, but had thought about getting into it for hunting Wild Turkey's.

But am I misunderstanding something or are people just breaking the law? On the Manitoba hunting guide website, it says

"Resident
Note: The wild turkey licence is valid in both spring and fall seasons. Only one wild turkey may be harvested per year."

"Non-resident
There is no wild turkey hunting season for non-residents and foreign residents."

It seems pretty straight forward, that you're only allowed a single turkey for the year as a resident. If that's the case, it seems like there's basically no reason for me to invest the time and money into getting a gun license, buying a gun, and then getting a turkey license for a single bird. Talk about discouraging.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
kasha said:
I have no experience hunting, but had thought about getting into it for hunting Wild Turkey's.

But am I misunderstanding something or are people just breaking the law? On the Manitoba hunting guide website, it says

"Resident
Note: The wild turkey licence is valid in both spring and fall seasons. Only one wild turkey may be harvested per year."

"Non-resident
There is no wild turkey hunting season for non-residents and foreign residents."

It seems pretty straight forward, that you're only allowed a single turkey for the year as a resident. If that's the case, it seems like there's basically no reason for me to invest the time and money into getting a gun license, buying a gun, and then getting a turkey license for a single bird. Talk about discouraging.
Welcome to the forum Kasha...

You are correct that you are allowed a single turkey in a Year... But there are lots of other Game Birds that you can pursue in this province that you are allowed more than one of... Keep reading the guide and you'll find there would be alot you can do with your shotgun :D I am curious to the " am I misunderstanding something or are people just breaking the law?" comment, Most people would be happy with one turkey!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll be scouting my deer spots while I hunt for ruffies and sharpies.

Good excuse to walk around with a shotgun and take the dog for a nice fall day in the woods.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts