Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few days off work and went out east looking for chickens. As of today (tuesday) there is still 4-6" of snow. All the trails have major tree blow down. I'm going out tomorrow with the chainsaw and quad and opening up some of the main trails so come muzzle season you guys can get back in there... (i have never seen so many trees down like this since the 2007 whiteshell windstorm)... unreal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes we went to the cabin on the weekend to check things. The most snow we saw was between Lockport and Selkirk, plus Milner Ridge. So many trees bent over it is hard to understand, until you pick up a broke off branch. The snow is as heavy as mud. At the cabin more tree tops broke off than I have seen in 20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
ihunttoomuch said:
Took a few days off work and went out east looking for chickens. As of today (tuesday) there is still 4-6" of snow. All the trails have major tree blow down. I'm going out tomorrow with the chainsaw and quad and opening up some of the main trails so come muzzle season you guys can get back in there... (i have never seen so many trees down like this since the 2007 whiteshell windstorm)... unreal.
You really don't have a right to go open trails just because trees fell due to natural events. Generally speaking a person must have a permit of sorts to cut wood and/or trees on crown land.

Access is the biggest reason why animals are over hunted in many areas. Why would you open up roads to vehicles anyway?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Would it not save MB Conservation some money, if average joe citizen, helped clear some of the fireguard roads in the provincial forests? You know they will have to be cleared for logging, gravel operations, mining, policing, etc anyways.

I agree, leave as many tree's down as possible, to cut back on access, especially on those little trails that are not gravel access roads, but the not maintained fireguards are major routes for alot of people and industries.

Just my thought's.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I suppose one could volunteer time and equipment to pave my street to save the town some money! Oh and the grass in the town's ditch needs cutting too. Any volunteers? ;)

Catch my drift?

Maybe there is intent to close some of those roads/trails but the costs for doing that are prohibitive! Ma Nature came along and did the job for us. Next thing you know some kind hearted soul or somebody who wants to drive a truck to poach wood or game in the back country comes along and opens it up. The place gets raped and pillaged by motorized bandits until the next weather event makes it impassable.

NOPE! Leave it alone. People are being paid to make management decisions on these infrastructures and related uses. Better to let them do their jobs I say.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No offense Andre but alot of these people being made to make such decisions have no clue! Being book smart, sitting behind a desk doesnt make up for field smarts!

·
Registered
653 Posts
It is a little funny how we complain about poachers, road hunters and "those with rights" over hunting and ruining our hunts, then we open and maintain the trails and roads they use.

I do think about this often when I'm out at my cabin, how many other people are following my trails?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
No offense Andre but alot of these people being made to make such decisions have no clue! Being book smart, sitting behind a desk doesnt make up for field smarts!
No offense taken with your opinion. It's not correct but whatever....

·
Registered
355 Posts
André said:
[quote="highlandglen guide":1uxo6gc2]No offense Andre but alot of these people being made to make such decisions have no clue! Being book smart, sitting behind a desk doesnt make up for field smarts!
No offense taken with your opinion. It's not correct but whatever....[/quote:1uxo6gc2]
:lmao: i like your humor!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya so anyways... the first trail (main road) i believe it was spuce siding... i get to with the huge tree across i go to cut it and my chain on the saw flies off? Dont buy cheap chain saws.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Nopiming is an absolute mess. I agree with the "in 20 years". On my cabin lot alone between 60 and 70 trees broken off 2/3 of the way up. 2.5 days work to remove those tree tops and a couple big ones almost uprooted. Our snowmobile club has a major disaster on our hands. Imagine 160 km of trail with trees down like that......much of it inaccessible to heavy equipment at this time of year.....
I was out briefly for chickens late Wednesday and it's bad. There is going to be a real fire hazard the next couple of years with all that deadfall laying around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was out on thursday in Belair Prov Forest and spent 8 hours climbing over trees, no birds but some yotes & deer, check the gallery. That's north of Winnipeg east of Grand Beach.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Went for grouse near milner ridge last weekend, lots of tree down on my fav trails. . . . . no more quad hunters :D the roads aren't too bad though. Heard from a friend there is alot of snow in the sandilands.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Spent the week up at the cabin at Bird Lake.
We had a permit to go cut wood at the Davidson designated cutting area. We never actually made it into the area. Filled our permit allowance just by cutting the trees that had fallen on the road going into the area. It's amazing the amount of trees that are down. Next summer should be interesting with the amount of downed and dead fuel that will be in area. I'm thinking I could have a busy fire season next summer. I feel sorry for the ground crews that might end up having to fight fire in all that blowdown. Makes me happy to be in the bird dog some days.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback....i myself am going to apply for a salvage permit for some of that jack pine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't get into "My" pit with camper cause of the trees! :(
Plus, most of my spots were burned this summer. :(
But thanks to good freinds I was able to set up in a "their" area yesterday. :)
Put up the new Apex Tripod Stand. Feels like sitting in a Tank Turret. :cool:
Cant wait :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts