Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you sight in your rifles for hunting, where do you like to have your bullets impacting for hunting the timber, and where do you have it for more open country?

For hunting the woods, I like to be spot on at 100 yards, but for more open country I like to be about two and a half inches high at 100. With my 300 Win Mag, and 180 grain x bullets that gives me an effective kill zone out to 300 yards, If I hold half way up the body, and just behind the shoulder on an average body size buck. Regardless of what range I'm sighted in for, I'll also shoot at 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards, just to see what the point of impact is. Over the years I've had quite a few surprises with the points of impact, compared to what the various ballistic tables in the various manuals have stated. Check it out for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Most of my hunting is bush but there can be swamps or other open areas. I usually keep within an inch high at 100. The trick is to know POI at different ranges as you mention. You really have to set range limits for each weapon depending on it's ballistics and it's optics as well as the game hunted. Then comes the personal variables which all boil down to taking an ethical shot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
1 1/2 inch high at 100 with rifle and i don't take shots out past 200. If you don't have the field craft to close the distance you are only having half the fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts