Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this has been posted before,BUT
Page 26 Licence Type and Bag Limits
Shotgun/Muzzleloader .......1 Deer (has always been 1 antlerless)
2nd or third deer................1 antlerless deer

This has got to be a BAD mistake,they really arent allowing people to come and blast at Bucks with hi-tec scopes in Section 33 are they?? This has always held some huge,high scoring bucks,which has been fine for Archery (IMHO) being way more of a challenge.....but if they allow this to happend,may as well kiss all those majestic beauties Sec 33 has held goodbye.Not to mention all the yahoos showing up around here on private properties.
Just got a message from my neighbour,telling me he contacted Natural resources,and they told him,if a hunter has a un-used tag,he can use it during the late shotgun/muzzle season on a Buck!! This has got to be a big oops in the Regulations....Right? Andre??

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Maybe its just because of the general license now... I don't think that its going to hurt the big buck population in the area that badly, if anything it will help encourage some more people to get down there and shoot a couple does... Its all private land hunting in that area and permission can be tricky to get... Remember its still a one tag deal, anybody who tags out early with the bow, muzzleloader, or rifle earlier in the year is still down to antlerless only... IMO

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patty said:
I don't think that its going to hurt the big buck population in the area that badly, if anything it will help encourage some more people to get down there and shoot a couple does...
Seriously,perhaps you are not aware of what Sec 33 holds as far as HUGE trophy bucks,been like this for yrs,but wont last long at all if this is allowed. We often have trouble with people trying to sneak in on private land here before,now if this is for real...it'll be like Vietnam here with muzzleloaders.
Not being greedy either as I can not even hunt archery anymore because of my disability(fused wrist),but think it's only fare for all the patient bow hunters who have been trying for yrs to have a big buck come within shooting distance of their stand,as compared to a muzzle witha good scope that can drop one over 150 yds away......not to mention how many less Big bucks afterwards not spreading their strong genes anymore...very sad!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
deeker said:
Patty said:
I don't think that its going to hurt the big buck population in the area that badly, if anything it will help encourage some more people to get down there and shoot a couple does...
Seriously,perhaps you are not aware of what Sec 33 holds as far as HUGE trophy bucks,been like this for yrs,but wont last long at all if this is allowed. We often have trouble with people trying to sneak in on private land here before,now if this is for real...it'll be like Vietnam here with muzzleloaders.
Not being greedy either as I can not even hunt archery anymore because of my disability(fused wrist),but think it's only fare for all the patient bow hunters who have been trying for yrs to have a big buck come within shooting distance of their stand,as compared to a muzzle witha good scope that can drop one over 150 yds away......not to mention how many less Big bucks afterwards not spreading their strong genes anymore...very sad!
I am very aware and have hunted the late shotgun muzzleloader seasons in the past!!! From my experiences hunting 33 most of the private land is tied up with bow hunters anyway, So if these guys who have bow hunted the buck of their dreams and struck out and have a chance to do that with a muzzleloader I say good for them!!!

I do understand the issue with the trespassing and such that you guys have had to deal with down there... Its been about 5 years since I hunted the area last, and it was very well policed by MB conservation when I hunted there... I will say it was tough to get permission in the area we hunted, the first door we knocked on a lady showed us where the 12ga slug came through her wall!!!

Time will tell what will happen down there, but I doubt that your going to get 20000 people down there in december... Most guys will be tagged out by then anyway... last year there were less than 600 SM tags sold compared to almost 28000 general tags... I hope that it does not turn into a blood fest down there for you guys because that would be a shame!!! IMO

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patty said:
[ but I doubt that your going to get 20000 people down there in december... Most guys will be tagged out by then anyway..... I hope that it does not turn into a blood fest down there for you guys because that would be a shame!!! IMO
Well that's just it Patty,it's not just December...it's Open Oct 1-7th as well!!!!

I hope not either,it WILL be a shame :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
The nice thing about SMD is people have to have written permission in their hands from the landowner. I think if Conservation has a greater presence in 33 during the season then the "war zone" scenario shouldn't be an issue. If a few guys get nabbed for hunting without permission, maybe a few get caught using center fires and trolling the roads... could clean up the season!

I know that I will be taking advantage of this season, and will not hesitate to shoot any of the bucks I've been watching during archery for some time (assuming I don't tag one in archery). The December season actually works out significantly better for me as work isn't as busy as October/November.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No ones gonna shoot anything during the early season, as no one will want to waste the chance to hunt the rest of the season unless its a big buck...and then the other season is in December when 90% of guys are either tagged out or done with hunting for the year. This will have a positive effect, as previous years that season was just a Doe/button buck slaughter, and the population took a beating in some areas. I don't think it's gonna be a big deal, it's hard enough to get access with a bow, muzzleloader access will be tough to get. The Huds shoot more deer with the .22 magnum than the number of bucks shot legal with a muzzleloader for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I don't know much about GHA 33 Deeker. Your best bet is to call Winnipeg District at 945-7273 and speak with one of the officers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts