Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Shot Guns For Waterfowl

6K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  did_b 
#1 ·
Which shot gun do you reach for when it's time to head out for Geese or Ducks?

#15 ·
MtnMan said:
I'm going out for the first time this year and I'm looking at the Winchester Black Shadow SPX. Does anyone know anything about this gun or maybe recommedations on something else?

Not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy war here but... For an entry level 12ga its hard to beat the price and unrivaled performance of the Remington 870... There hasn't been a whole lot of design change on the action in a very long time because it is so dependable... Once broke in they can shoot as fast or faster than 99% of the semi Auto shotties out there... An 870 will last you a lifetime,you will hand it down to your kids, your kids will pass it on to their kids and so on... IMO

#16 ·
Patty said:
MtnMan said:
I'm going out for the first time this year and I'm looking at the Winchester Black Shadow SPX. Does anyone know anything about this gun or maybe recommedations on something else?

Not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy war here but... For an entry level 12ga its hard to beat the price and unrivaled performance of the Remington 870... There hasn't been a whole lot of design change on the action in a very long time because it is so dependable... Once broke in they can shoot as fast or faster than 99% of the semi Auto shotties out there... An 870 will last you a lifetime,you will hand it down to your kids, your kids will pass it on to their kids and so on... IMO

As long as it is a Wingmaster!!!!!

#17 ·
I have two I use right now... One is a wingmaster that is incredibly old but still shoots like a dream the other is a SPS Marine Magnum with the chrome nickel finish,18" barrel with Extended Magazine, a ATI adjustable pistol grip and a Barksa "TV" sight (In case of a zombie apocalypse!!!)... I've Killed geese and ducks with both but they gotta be a little closer with the SPS!!!

#18 ·
I have an old mossberg lakefield 400, Used to be my dad's Started doing waterfowl last year and got out quite a bit. Only complaint is it doesn't chamber 3' shells well. Then again the gun is older than I am and it's knocked down quite a few birds last year so it's hard to complain at all :D

#19 ·
Some of the older mossberg shotguns were pretty good!!! My dad has a .410 pump thats a mossberg and its a good little gun... i watched a buddy struggle with his Mossberg/Maverick 88 with three inch shells for a couple years, his was a worn out "keeper" on the magazine that holds the next round from popping out before you pump it... Little file work and it was good for a while but then it just wore down again and started jamming again... don't know that this will help you any... The other thing to check is to see what the actual length of the shells are... Most 3" are 2 3/4" before firing and 3" after firing, but I have had some Kent 3 1/2" shells that wouldn't eject properly because they were "too long" after firing, depending on both the gun manufacturer (I am assuming the gun is chamber for 3") and shell manufactures tolerances this could potentially be the problem... You could try a different brand of Shells and see if that helps you or not... Does it handle 2 3/4" shells with no problems???

#21 ·
I started hunting with a Mossberg model 500 (i think) it was the mossberg that everyone owned haha... I then bought a Mossberg 9200 semi that was a POS I was always fixing it and then finally I lost the cocking lever and couldn't get parts... I then bought a Stoeger 2000 which wasn't too bad... I lost 2 cocking levers out of it and then finally the third one I bought came as a harder material and tighter tolerance so i had to use a hammer to put it in but it is still in the gun to this day. Everyone of the chokes seized in the gun. I managed to get all out but would go back in (swelled in the middle) untill I was down to the full choke which seized and never came out so I opened it up to modified spec.... The gun would occassionally jam but was reliable.. The guy I sold it to has problems with it jamming but what is happening is he is sqeezing the forearm too tight and slowing down the action (I know doesn't make sense but true)....

Now that I bought my SX3 the only issue that I have with it is the dura-touch coating is wearing out where I hold the gun, maybe because i shoot it too much haha... I went 2 years before taking it apart and cleaning it. I wanted to see how long I could shoot it before haveing problems. I would oil it and whipe it down just never actually took it apart and cleaned it. When I finally had to clean it, it was working perfect with 3" shells but would jam every once in awhile with the light cheap trap loads. It was november though and cold so that would have been part of the issue.

#22 ·
I used to have an old Browning Auto 5. Didn't matter what I shot in it or when, that shotgun never jammed once in the whole time I had it. It was a great pointing gun too. Just got a little too heavy to carry around for grouse when I gave up the waterfowl.

#23 ·
snomad said:
I used to have an old Browning Auto 5. Didn't matter what I shot in it or when, that shotgun never jammed once in the whole time I had it. It was a great pointing gun too. Just got a little too heavy to carry around for grouse when I gave up the waterfowl.

I shoot a friends A-5 20ga for skeet all the time and i love it!!!

G
#25 ·
204Waterfowler said:
870 quality drop .... i have a old 870 performs great everytime my buddy got a new one and it jams quite often would recommend something different or an old one if you have the option
I agree with the quality drop, huge difference from the 870 express's or the older sportsmans if compareing them to the wingmaster! My dads wingmaster is early 70's and mine was purchased in 1995! These guns are so reliable I have a hard time upgrading!

#26 ·
Fish Camp 24-7 said:
204Waterfowler said:
870 quality drop .... i have a old 870 performs great everytime my buddy got a new one and it jams quite often would recommend something different or an old one if you have the option
I agree with the quality drop, huge difference from the 870 express's or the older sportsmans if compareing them to the wingmaster! My dads wingmaster is early 70's and mine was purchased in 1995! These guns are so reliable I have a hard time upgrading!
Yeeeep! My grandpa gave me mine never jams and the action is like butter times have changed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.