Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Shot gun shells

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  thepatriot 
#1 ·
What kind of shotgun shells is everyone using I've been shooting Winchester and federal and they are ok but I wanna try something different.

#2 ·
Tried a little of everything....always a sucker to try out the newest and greatest fad but always end up going back to the winchester xperts. Can't seem to beat the price for somthing that works.....
I have been slowly moving over to the bottom end black cloud though so who knows.

#3 ·
Whatever is the cheapest usually experts.... I like the Hypersonics but too cheap to buy them all the time... shot black cloud once over decoys and didn't notice a difference over the experts but that was feet in the face so didn't matter what shells you were shooting...

Alot of guys like faststeel couple bucks more a box over experts but are a cleaner shooting shell.

G
#6 ·
Gave up using the cheap crap, been shooting the black clouds last couple seasons and in my opinion it is a night and day difference. Really notice the knock down difference on extended ranges. Tried the new Winchester blindsides this year and so far the federals seem better. Just my observations, end of the day they are both expensive, comes down to what your willing to pay. Used to shoot Winchester drylocs and Remington nitro mags in the previous seasons with great results.

#14 ·
2 3/4 inch Challenger #2's or BB's over Decoys. My cousin shoots some 3 inch Black Cloud. I dont think that he knocks them down any better than the Challengers. I guess you can spend $11.00 a box or $20.00 a box, use 2 3/4 or 3 1/2 inch shells, use a modified choke or a special after market super tight choke. But at the end of the day whatever works for you. And really, you can't kill them anymore than dead. I doubt the birds can tell the difference.

Cheers

Reactions: Patty
#15 ·
If you decoy birds in you could kill then with any shell, it when the birds won't decoy you have a problem. Once the gaint Canada's come town 2 3/4 crap Challengers will have a hard time killing them unless they are right in your face. Every shooter is different when I hunt with the Doodlers (Americans) they use Heavey Shot out of SBEII and still can't hit shit!

#16 ·
dmeats44 said:
If you decoy birds in you could kill then with any shell, it when the birds won't decoy you have a problem. Once the gaint Canada's come town 2 3/4 crap Challengers will have a hard time killing them unless they are right in your face. Every shooter is different when I hunt with the Doodlers (Americans) they use Heavey Shot out of SBEII and still can't hit shit!
Please don't lump all of us Americans, or Doodlers as you refer to us, together. I really find that offensive. I don't use Heavy Shot, don't shoot an SBE II, , and I can hit what I'm shooting at (most of the time).....as can all of my hunting buddies. I suppose that based on your statement, no Canadians use Heavy Shot, wouldn't be caught dead hunting with a SBE II, and never miss a shot. Sorry, but I've got to call B.S. on this one.

#19 ·
Riggs sorry if I hit a nerve with you. That was not intensional. As I said the Americans I hunt with I didn't say anything about all Americans. As for the SBEII it is one off the best semi auto shot guns out there that shoots 3 1-2" the best been the Browning Auto 5. I have hunted with lots of Americans up here when they film their shows, if they have such good shots why do they film with at least 6-10 guys in the field but only have the camera behind the middle shooters. Flock of ducks fly into the decoys 21-30 shots are fired may be 10 birds fall!! Great shooting if it was only the 3-4guys in the middle they never show the guys on the out side! And I have shot with some of the big boys in waterfowling!

#21 ·
dmeats44 said:
Riggs sorry if I hit a nerve with you. That was not intensional. As I said the Americans I hunt with I didn't say anything about all Americans. As for the SBEII it is one off the best semi auto shot guns out there that shoots 3 1-2" the best been the Browning Auto 5. I have hunted with lots of Americans up here when they film their shows, if they have such good shots why do they film with at least 6-10 guys in the field but only have the camera behind the middle shooters. Flock of ducks fly into the decoys 21-30 shots are fired may be 10 birds fall!! Great shooting if it was only the 3-4guys in the middle they never show the guys on the out side! And I have shot with some of the big boys in waterfowling!
The Benelli Super black eagle is the best shotgun made. I've lent mine to friends and they love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.