Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andre, if the goal in area 26 and 36 was to reduce the deer population to help the moose, why didn't conservation open up the Whiteshell game bird refuge to deer hunting? There is an over population of deer there and few moose. Would it not have made sense to start taking out some of those deer, even it was made an archery only area?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Totally agree on GHA36. To much influence from the Whiteshell Cottagers Association and Manitoba Naturalist Society. Their are more people ( Bunny Huggers' ) in the park, that would like to see less hunting than more. Opening the game bird refuge to an archery season has been proposed many times, but you know the story Bambi lives happily ever after in the refuge. In my opinion can't see the moose population ever rebounding to hunt able numbers in GHA36 without more of the closed areas opened. If it did try to get a season reopened in Hugger-Ville once it has been closed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah Archery hunting is something that would help out the population out there. I could only hope that a season opens out there for archery. Actually it would be a dream come true.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I've never worked in the Whiteshell so can't answer a question that obviously has significant and apparently sensitive local context to it. You'll have to contact the regional wildlife manager in ldb for your answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts