Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am not trying to poke at the skin on the poop pile but would someone please confirm whether there is an unwritten rule applied by Mb NROs to let people with Metis Harvester Cards off. I was bored one day and decided to read the wildlife act etc and concluded that the métis were not part of the official First Nations group permitted to hunt or fish without licenses.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why? Because I refused to take non license holders fishing in my boat without a license and i even offered to pay for a conservation permit to make it legit. Not going over well. Same situation will arise if using my vehicle for hunting...I don't want my stuff seized over a few relatively cheap permits.

·
Registered
869 Posts
. . . . I'm also interested to hear this too, someone at my work told me I can probably get a harvester card even though I'm not metis (As far as I know). Honestly cannot say I blame you for not letting said people hunt/fish with you, at least not until you get the facts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$13 conservation permit or $30000 fishing boat impounded? Easy one for me.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Dear jondur.

NROs enforce written laws and in the case of Métis harvesting rights there are two Supreme Court decisions, a Canadian Constitution plus Manitoba's Constitutional law branch directing us with WRITTEN RULE. The Wildlife Act has no application to aboriginal or subsistence rights on land that aboriginal or subsistence people have a right of access so your question(s) would not be answered in that statute.

The Manitoba Métis Federation (MMF) provides harvester cards to its members who have proven their Métis genealogy. The Province recognizes harvester cards possessed by MMF members in certain parts of Manitoba. Again all these decisions have been made by the Supreme Courts and/or Constitutional Law branch.

The Manitoba Government must abide by these high court and constitutional decisions. By the same token, it does not recognize harvester cards in areas outside the boundaries established by the Supreme Courts and Constitutional Law branch.

If you don't want "non-license" people in your boat or other vehicle that is your prerogative!

In the event that licensed (non-subsistence) and subsistence people share a vehicle or boat, any fish or wildlife taken by subsistence people CAN NOT be shared with non-subsistence people.

I've been in this field for 35 years and it has been illegal for subsistence persons to share their harvest with non-subsistence persons for longer than that! The only thing that is different is that some Métis people now have a subsistence right in some areas of Manitoba.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks Andre. Which areas are allowed for sustenance harvesting?

The thought of getting stopped on the water with my live well full of fish above MY legal limit makes me uneasy. Same goes for big game.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A couple of my buddies have them... They are good though and don't abuse them... I did make my buddy buy a license for saturday's derby tho!!!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Patty said:
A couple of my buddies have them... They are good though and don't abuse them... I did make my buddy buy a license for saturday's derby tho!!!
He would need one for a tournament as he's not fishing for subsistence.

jondur--people need to come to a district office in person to see the map. Generally speaking it's southern Manitoba from the SK border, US border, just west of the Hadashville road and road 100 N/PR 229. It then zig zags from Inwood to The Pas. That's why ppl need to come to our offices to see the map.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is great to have someone like Andre on this forum. Hunting (fishing) questions are answered right from the horses mouth if you will, instead of people thinking that they know the correct answer and misinforming people.
Thanks Andre. High 5 to you!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Gonzago1234 said:
It is great to have someone like Andre on this forum. Hunting (fishing) questions are answered right from the horses mouth if you will, instead of people thinking that they know the correct answer and misinforming people.
Thanks Andre. High 5 to you!

Agreed!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Thank you! I've always believed it to be very important for officers, biologists and technicians to participate in outdoor forums as we have the "facts" to clear up innuendo. I wish that more would participate as questions come from all over the province.

Obviously I frequent these forums for more than just to answer questions or clear up misinformation. The angler/hunter in me likes to read your hunting and fishing stories and see your photos of critters and fish! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very much appreciated indeed.

Is the map available online? Specifically for this weekend I need to confirm Wpg river from pine falls to lake Winnipeg and the south basin are included.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
jondur said:
Very much appreciated indeed.

Is the map available online? Specifically for this weekend I need to confirm Wpg river from pine falls to lake Winnipeg and the south basin are included.
The map is not available on line which is why I specified attending a district office. I also described where it applied to on the east side and south basin of LW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts