Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy!

THIS BUY/SELL THREAD WILL WELCOME COMMENTS, SO PLEASE DO SO!

I'm seeing more and more instances of folks commenting on ads, some repeatedly despite warnings... it's getting kinda old, frankly. Like, how many warnings do ya need before ya learn.... Anyway...

So we basically have 2 options, and since this is YOUR forum, I'm wanting to get your input on which option you prefer or would like to try:

1 - keep things as they are: 7 day bump rule, no comments on ads
or
2 - allow daily bumps, and allow comments on ads (which would also bump)

We don't really have a lot of rules around here, but this is the one that keeps me busiest. If y'all want to continue as-is, I'm good with that. Also willing to relax it and experiment so long as the adults are the ones posting/bumping.

Ultimately, I want this section to work FOR you. How do you best see that happening?

Thoughts?

Again, THIS BUY/SELL THREAD WILL WELCOME COMMENTS, SO PLEASE DO SO!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Daily are fine and people responding in post is fine. Just got to control the bs. You know the That is priced way to much I would never pay that posts . But based on you being around often on the site you would police that I bet.

By the way you are doing a great job. Wouldn’t mind getting few more hunting threads started and basic chit chat back and forth. Maybe I will start one now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I also think the mods are doing great.

I did forget the other day and got a PM which I thought was over the top as I was very curious about the product requested. Personally I hate the PM system honestly as you need to clickity clack a bunch until you get to the folders but I now have Tapatalk and it’s a bit easier but I would definitely prefer having the ability to respond to adds!

If I post an item (rare occasion) then I would not mind at all if someone said it’s priced stupid high as I’m not on top of current markets a lot. We are all adults and if you can’t take a smack then maybe this sight isn’t for you.

I hate the BS as well that guys are referring to so let’s all be reasonable.

Keep the 7 day bump rule as is cause if commenting is allowed then adds will get bumped like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
howdy!

I'm seeing more and more instances of folks commenting on ads, some repeatedly despite warnings... it's getting kinda old, frankly. Like, how many warnings do ya need before ya learn.... Anyway...

So we basically have 2 options, and since this is YOUR forum, I'm wanting to get your input on which option you prefer or would like to try:

or

We don't really have a lot of rules around here, but this is the one that keeps me busiest. If y'all want to continue as-is, I'm good with that. Also willing to relax it and experiment so long as the adults are the ones posting/bumping.

Ultimately, I want this section to work FOR you. How do you best see that happening?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If that one particular rule seems to be the issue ( for you and others ) maybe change the rule ?
I know I have VIOLATED it at least twice - I don't do it on purpose, just use it so infrequently that I forget.

Do what ya gota do bud............you are the mod !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm on another forum (vehicle related) and posts were allowed. Thread capping wasn't... in other words if the commenter starts bashing the product being sold or says it's priced too high it gets reported by members and/or the mod sees it and deletes it.

I personally don't mind a courteous comment about a price being WAY too high... but that can be detrimental to a seller so I'm a bit torn on that particular point.

Comments in a sale ad can help clarify the product for sale.... as in if the OP doesn't put enough details in it can be clarified in future questions/posts.

Also if it's a great product and/or a great price that helps the seller when a commenter says;
"I have one of those, they are great!"
"This is a great price! GLWS (good luck with sale) "
etc etc....

In my mind it helps create a bit more of a community rather than just being kijiji.

We also have a Feedback section.... where you can either thank a user for their sale - "on time, friendly, etc" or warn others of difficulties you had with trying to buy something or sell something to another user. That post would then link the original sale post for reference in addition to the kudos or complaints.
"Hey Fred was a great guy to deal with. He was on time and he even bent over backwards for me when I had a family emergency and had to reschedule! I would definitely buy from him again!"

Just my 2 cents.
🍻 🍻

·
Registered
7 Posts
howdy!

or

Thoughts?

I enjoy the buy sell because ad are concise not multiple pages of whining about price etc, people are people and we feel compelled to speak our mind, having said that I feel if you don't martial the Ads, It will probably get out of hand and everybody will be unhappy. Its a pain to have rules but its mayhem without, and people will run roughshod if allowed has always been my experience. Forge onward either way when things don't suit we can always do somthing different !!

·
Administrator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the general feeling so far is that comments should be allowed, so long as they stick to being "community-friendly". I like the idea of making it more active with discussion, and less like a newspaper ad (remember those??) that you can't engage with. Most of the warnings that I've had to issue over the last several months are for pretty basic comments, not really anything that would be considered bad behavior - so long as the comments remain like those, there would be little policing to do on them.

So, Happy Halloween, we can give it a trial.

Effective now, I'll suspend the ad bump rule of 7 days (this will change to 1/day), and will allow comments on ads.

I will be watching closely to weed out any comments that don't have any value. An example might be "PM sent" - this is just dumb, so I'll delete those. No warnings will be given, but it will get removed since it just takes up space in the database and has zero worth.

Also, I think sellers would appreciate folks not offering opinions on their price, so let's try to avoid that. Not gonna make that a formal RULE, since we're just doing an experiment with this rule suspension. Remember, the reason we have the current buy/sell rules is due to some members complaining in posts about the prices some sellers were asking for... that was one of the main drivers of the chaos that led us to the "no comments" rule in the first place. For reality-checks on pricing, please stick to PMs.

As always, if you notice something, you can report the post and get it looked into. I'm generally on here several times a day, but it's possible that something sneaks by.

I'll run this trial until December, unless something catastrophic happens to kill it before then, and we can assess how it went and whether or not to continue these revisions. I'll be checking in with you all over the next month for feedback - you can also continue to update this thread with your thoughts/experiences as we try this.

The buy/sell rules sticky has been updated.

·
Administrator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, so far so good on this.

Thanks to all of you who have been playing nice with the other kids! As of this update, there's been no need for any real moderator action; no issues whatsoever, in fact.

*knocks on wood

So we'll continue this way, focusing more on the occasional offender rather than on limiting your ability to get stuff sold. I've updated the buy/sell rules sticky to show that this is now an 'indefinite' trial.

As always, let me know if you run into any issues or have concerns.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts