Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple pics of the resident elk heard in the Vita area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure...there is no season for them yet, and I am told never in that area.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Patty said:
Couple nice bulls... There was a big Bull shot down there last fall wasn't there???
You may have to ask Terry Nelson subsistence hunter extraordinaire (aka Roseau River Band Chief)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
brasso said:
Patty said:
Couple nice bulls... There was a big Bull shot down there last fall wasn't there???
You may have to ask Terry Nelson subsistence hunter extraordinaire (aka Roseau River Band Chief)
Fair enough... Didn't realize it was one of "those" scenarios...

None the less couple nice bulls there... And glad to here that there is no open season down there...

·
Registered
123 Posts
that heard will disappear real soon, I know some metis already planning on hunting them this fall....and these metis have good jobs, own businesses and all the big toys.....they even own land in that area.....think they need sustenance????

·
Banned
216 Posts
Tinman said:
that heard will disappear real soon, I know some metis already planning on hunting them this fall....and these metis have good jobs, own businesses and all the big toys.....they even own land in that area.....think they need sustenance????
True, and are good dedicated hunters, better then the first nations. I know one too, good friend actually, he did good this fall so far (but at least he hunts with a bow only)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tinman said:
:( , :evil:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That last photo was taken last thursday (Sept 27th) I was bow hunting and walked within 50 yards of that very spot only 10 minutes prior to that photo being taken.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wooah...step back a second. A native hunter using a bow!!??!!?? How many hundreds of years has it been since we heard that. Amen to that guy for following traditional hunting practices. You can try and shoot all the elk you want with a bow, that how herds used to remain stable!! Hallelujah a break through. (Finish rant). Wonderful elk pics by the way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The area is a big area...depending on where the fire goes I suppose. They are on my quarter but nobody here knows where that is. And hopefully people on a Hunting Forum are hunters not poachers...maybe I am naive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Red_River_Clay said:
The area is a big area...depending on where the fire goes I suppose. They are on my quarter but nobody here knows where that is. And hopefully people on a Hunting Forum are hunters not poachers...maybe I am naive.
The area is not as big as you may think. Don't you think the locals don't know where these elk are?? They've been there for years, and the poachers know where they are also...yes you may be naive

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Red_River_Clay said:
You're not being naive! In today's world there are very, very few secrets and even those don't last long. The good thing is that some of those elk are on private land, which by law cannot be entered upon without landowner permission. So long as landowners do not give permission to enter onto their property to people intent on killing those elk, they have a good chance of increasing in numbers. By the same token if a landowner wants to give permission to subsistence hunters to enter onto his/her property to hunt elk and the numbers are there to sustain a certain harvest level then that is his/her business and nobody else's! Tough to accept but those rights are guaranteed by law!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts