Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a savage axis in a 270 cal this spring. The price was right at the right time , what are others thoughts on this gun if you got one ? And what scope would others recomend to put on it ?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Alot of predator guys are shooting the Axis... I've heard really good things about accuracy in varmint calibers (.223, .22-250, .243 etc) but haven't heard much about the larger calibers... Savage makes a good rifle and the accu-trigger really makes them good shooters too... For a scope for deer, I'd go with a 3-9x or 4-12X... Depending on the type of country you hunt you may want a more powerful zoom for long shots or a 1.5X for thick bush... I'm in the scope market myself right now and am leaning towards a leupold...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got the axis in .22-250, it's very accurate. My only complaint is the stiff, non-adjustable trigger. Love the snow camo too. Overall, a great gun for the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya no doubt the price is good . It took me a bit to find the right shells for me and the gun but I would like a 4 x12 or a 6 x 18 scope I hunt a lot of field edges. Is this over kill in your opinion

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Stonehaulin said:
I've got the axis in .22-250, it's very accurate. My only complaint is the stiff, non-adjustable trigger. Love the snow camo too. Overall, a great gun for the price.
I thought the Axis had the Accu-trigger???

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Aharder said:
Ya no doubt the price is good . It took me a bit to find the right shells for me and the gun but I would like a 4 x12 or a 6 x 18 scope I hunt a lot of field edges. Is this over kill in your opinion
I don't think so... I have a 4-12X DOA 600 bushnell on my .25-06... I can still turn the power low enough to hunt in modestly thick areas... I will say though that so far I'm not a fan of the DOA 600, The glass is good but I don't like the reticle, seemed like a good Idea at the time though!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Good gunsmith could possibly hone it and lighten it up if it was needed.... But a good aftermarket trigger like a timney as Riggs stated could be an option too...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I also have an axis in 22-250 it has a Bushnell 3-9 40 scope that can as a package from Cabellas. Very acccurate and I would agree the trigger pull is my only complaint. There are a number of posts on other forums that describe how to lighten the trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Stonehaulin said:
Thanks Riggs. I heard about a trigger upgrade for the axis but never had time to look into it
Those Timney Triggers are superb!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not familiar with your laws...sorry. Can a Canadian gun dealer get them for you?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
If a dealer or distributor has the proper permits and the business in the US has the proper export permits it works. This mess just raises the cost and extends the time. From what I read on another site, Canada under the Liberals at the time, had the opportunity to be exempted from those US export laws and did not take it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts