1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumors Confirmed About Record-Breaking Whitetail
as posted on The Outdoor Wire Newsletter

Click here for the whole story

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Dean Partridge of Canadian Whitetail Television is proud to confirm the rumours recently circulating on the internet regarding a record-breaking non-typical whitetail he took with his bow on October 6th, 2012. The deer in question has been officially scored and to anyones knowledge is the largest free-range whitetail ever taken with the bow on film.

Partridge has several years of history with the large buck, including high definition footage that he has captured on past hunts. He is now thankful that he passed on the deer over the years as the animal has come in at well over 230 inches nontypical with an astounding 200-inch typical 5x5 frame.

At the age of 33, Partridge has taken over 20 pope and young whitetails, and multiple Boone and Crockett-class whitetails with his bow. He reports this new giant non-typical is some of the best footage Canadian Whitetail Television has ever produced.

This accomplishment follows a string of massive deer taken by the team at Canadian Whitetail Television and Hunting Canada and Beyond TV, including multiple other 200+ inch deer. As a result, these two shows continue to be the most
watched hunting programs in Canada despite their current lack of an audience in the lower 48 states where they plan to begin airing this season. With their unmatched content, rich stories, and award winning history in Canadian hunting television production, their USA debut is expected to raise the bar of outdoor programming.

Photography of the record-breaking whitetail was captured professionally and will be made available-along with the story-to interested parties. Additionally, Canadian Whitetail Television is currently providing multiple advertising
opportunities on their show where the hunt will air.

We we're so fortunate to be able to take this beautiful animal, and that we will be able to share this hunt with all our viewers. It was truly a bitter sweet day as our goal was to take this great deer, but at the same time it was saddening that it was also the final chapter in the life of such an incredible buck.

Be the first to feature this exclusive story.
Rubline Outdoors
Dean Partridge (producer)
Canadian Whitetail Television
2954 37th st west
Saskatoon, Sk, Canada
S7M 7H9

·
Registered
557 Posts
Congrats to that guy. Is there any seperate categories for these records based on if the area you shot it in allows baiting or not. It would seem to me to be a lot easier to shoot big deer every year if you are sitting over a pile of bait vs patterning deer that don't have a central food source. I'm just curious because some areas allow it and some don't, theoretically it would give you a bit of an advantage, so are they seperate categories to recognize that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
[offtopic:2j4vidqs]He reports this new giant non-typical is some of the best footage Canadian Whitetail Television has ever produced.[/offtopic:2j4vidqs]

The deer must have stood over the bait pile for a good 5 minutes I guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's really shtty to me when a deer hunting story turns into an ad to sell footage and make money. I don't even care about this guy or his deer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well to be "officially scored " I think the drying time has to be 60 days or more . But by the green score it will be an awesome buck and my congrats to the hunter .

I've hunted deer over bait and it's not as easy as it sounds . Everything still has to be just right with all the stars aligned so to speak . Deer just don't come just flying in just because there is food . They are very cautious when coming into bait because it makes them more vulnerable to predator attack .

TD

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
trapperdirk said:
Well to be "officially scored " I think the drying time has to be 60 days or more . But by the green score it will be an awesome buck and my congrats to the hunter .

I've hunted deer over bait and it's not as easy as it sounds . Everything still has to be just right with all the stars aligned so to speak . Deer just don't come just flying in just because there is food . They are very cautious when coming into bait because it makes them more vulnerable to predator attack .

TD
Boone & Crockett, and Pope & Young require a 60 day drying period. SCI allows "green" scores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Riggs said:
trapperdirk said:

TD
Boone & Crockett, and Pope & Young require a 60 day drying period. SCI allows "green" scores.
Okay I stand corrected then . :oops: :oops:

I didnt know that . I never think about Safari Club International . :mrgreen:

TD

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not a biggy...I just think of them because I used to be a scorer for them.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good for these guys....hope they did the work for it.

Guys like Jim Shockey...who are show up and kill kinda guys make me a bit upset...but I guess he's earned his time in to be able to "hunt" the way he does.

Good job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
clawj said:
Congrats to that guy. Is there any seperate categories for these records based on if the area you shot it in allows baiting or not. It would seem to me to be a lot easier to shoot big deer every year if you are sitting over a pile of bait vs patterning deer that don't have a central food source. I'm just curious because some areas allow it and some don't, theoretically it would give you a bit of an advantage, so are they seperate categories to recognize that?
nicely put clawj this was the first thing that came to mind when i read the first post

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
clawj said:
No, there are no seperate categories to "recognize" that.

I do have a question though...I believe according to the Boone & Crockett Club, and also Pope & Young, the animals must have been taken according to the rules of fair chase. That being said, does baiting violate those rules of "fair chase"? If one is found to be hunting waterfowl over baited fields or water, aren't they subject to fines because it creates an unfair advantage?

I'm not accusing, or insinuating that this deer was taken over bait...just asking how hunting over bait is looked upon by the various record book organizations.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Well, I just found this on the Boone & Crockett website:

BAITING
Trophies taken with the aid of bait are eligible for entry in the Club’s Awards Programs and listing in the records books so long as the practice is legal in the state or province where the trophy was taken.

But then, I found this on their website as well:

FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

One seems to contradict the other, in my mind.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I tried one time (before the season) to put some oats in front of one of my trail cams to see if I could more bucks to come in. The does came to it but I never had one buck come to the oats. The Elk and Ravens sure liked it though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question for those of you who have been discussing baiting & its relation to Dean Partridge's Buck. Are you possibly saying that he took the Buck over bait (which is legal in Sask & Alberta)? Just wondering because no where in the story I re-posted, nor anywhere on the net does it say that. And since the show has not aired yet, I am personally not assuming he did so till I see the footage. Not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint but wondering where the comments come from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts