Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use rimfires for hunting Coyotes? if so what caliber and are you moreless making just head/neck shots?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im thinking of a 17 cal. rim fire, only just to be trying it . Myself and my brother have been using 222 cal. on varmits for 30 years for most of our kills, we have used other cal like 22-250, 243 , 25-06, and bigger cal that are NOT fur friendly, but always go back to the old stand bys the 222's, and im thinking of a mini 14 -223 cal. with folding stock bullet waister, i know fellow hunters using 17 cal. and they get the odd coyote calling them in.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Patty said:
Rimfire rifles are not legal for shooting coyotes or wolves, even under a trapping license...
Really? I don't remember reading that. A guy from work likes to use a .22 mag, says its good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Patty said:
Rimfire rifles are not legal for shooting coyotes or wolves, even under a trapping license...
i dont think this is accurate, ive been taking them with my 17hmr for the last couple years.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I don't recall it being illegal either. Having said that, IMO a rimfire is not a good choice for wolf. I know, I know, all that is said about well placed shots and all, but it is just my opinion. For yotes a 17 or 22 mag will work as long as you know where your gun shoots and keep the ranges limited.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I know for sure that it is illegal for wolves, they are classified as big game in manitoba and can only be taken with a centerfire rifle... A MB conservation officer told me that when I was hunting Yotes back on the farm with a .22 that it was illegal, this is why I stated it was... maybe he lied....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Haven't used them, but heard both good and bad things... the biggest negative is the plastic fouling caused by the sabot can be difficult to clean and builds up easily affecting accuracy somewhat...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have four .22 Accelerator .30-06 cartridges left over from the 80's and was thinking on going yotes hunting with them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oneye said:
I have four .22 Accelerator .30-06 cartridges left over from the 80's and was thinking on going yotes hunting with them.
let us all know how you make out, my opinion too much brass for .22, i have used accelerators, im not impressed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know guys that use 22 mags, with no complaints. That is for coyotes though... I have heard of a guy taking a wolf with a 17hmr, which is crazy to me... the 17hmr is about a perfect fox gun. I will stick with my .204!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've shot yotes with my 17 HMR with no issues, just keep your shots under 150 yds. As far as shooting them with center fires, I've also shot lots with 222, 22-250, 243 and 30-06. I've had good results with 150 gr fmj from the 06, 22-250 too much pelt damage, 222 best for pelt but not enough range sometimes. I feel the 100 gr from a 243 is best.....my opinion anyways

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've shot some coyotes with my .17hmr, I'll echo what the other guys said though, keep it under 150yds, and personally I go with a 20g bullet, better penetration, i like to keep the 17g for things rabbit size and smaller.
As far as .22lr, i think with good bullets and an accurate rifle you could take coyotes under 75yds, not that I would ever use that if anything else was available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts