Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 ga remington 870 youth model for my chicken gun. I bought it about 1 year ago and have only taken it chicken hunting so it's only fired, maybe, 20 rounds. I took it out a few times this fall and on my last trip, I pulled the trigger which went click but the shell didn't go bang. I had one of these out of the same batch of shells last season and I wrote it off as a dud shell then as everything worked after. this time, I cycled another shell and the same thing. I tried another box, same thing. The primer is dented but it seems minimally.
I've stripped down the gun today to clean and investigate. The trigger assembly fires nicely. I'm lookng at the bolt and the firing pin isn't broken and moves freely, the spring looks OK. When I manually push out the firing pin it seems like it only protrudes about 1mm, basically the rounded domed part of the head of the firing pin. This should be sufficient if it all makes contact.
The "dud" shells only have a tiny dimple in the primer. I don't have a fired one to compare as it was the first shot of the day and the previous day's shot shells were already disposed of.
So, is it the firing pin, the hammer, or possibly, is there a space between the shell and the bolt?

·
Registered
530 Posts
x2 with the weak spring do you dry fire often or did the previous owner ( if you didn't buy new that is)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes put in a new spring, and to prevent this in the future, buy and use one of those dummy shells for storage. I forget what they are called, snap caps or something like that. So this can be caused by not dry firing your gun and leaving tension on the spring for a long time. Any gun that enables you to release the pressure obviously does not reguire one.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Try and always leave the gun "uncocked"... verify it is unloaded and in a safe manner pull the trigger to release the tension on the firing pin spring...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the first owner and it literally has been fired about 20 times. I have never dry fired it.
The spring around the firing pin pushes the pin back into the bolt so a wek one would not prevent sufficient protrusion of the pin, it would make it easier. I can see that dry firing could cause a weaker spring but even if it is a weakened spring, logically, I don't see this as the cause.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a similar issue with my Mossberg pump. My problem only occurs when then gun is cocked and not fired like when waiting in a blind for 45 minutes with no action. Since you mentioned this was the first shot of the day, are you experiencing something similar.

I have contacted Mossberg but of course they simply suggest to send it in which I am not thrilled about. Like you stated a weak spring doesn't seem to be the problem. I require a lot of force to move the firing pin since that spring is mighty stiff.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How many brands of shells have you tried??? is it one particular brand??? Have you had the bolt assembly apart and checked to make sure there is no debris that might be holding it up??? I have several 870 Remingtons and never had one not go bang...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've completely disassembed and cleaned it. It's all the same batch of shells (4 boxes of 25 that came together) up to this day, only 1 dud last fall and when I looked at it I recall a bigger dimple in the primer.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
dmeats44 said:
Not to sound like an [email protected], but its a Remington you get what you pay for!! Take it apart and oil the fire pin it may have some rust on it!!
My $.02... The 870 is by far the most widely used most reliable pump action shotgun on the market... Has been for years, thirty years from now well see how the benelli's and such are doing!!!! And NEVER oil the firing pin on any gun you plan on using in cold weather!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Patty said:
dmeats44 said:
Not to sound like an [email protected], but its a Remington you get what you pay for!! Take it apart and oil the fire pin it may have some rust on it!!
My $.02... The 870 is by far the most widely used most reliable pump action shotgun on the market... Has been for years, thirty years from now well see how the benelli's and such are doing!!!! And NEVER oil the firing pin on any gun you plan on using in cold weather!!!
Use G96 it will never freeze oil the spring on my SBii never has froze or miss fired!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't want to spend a lot on a chicken gun and I quite liked it up to now. I never missed a bird with it and I could carry t around all day. Way more comfortable than either of my 12 ga Browning shottys for a hike.
It's a good lesson in having to take it all apart and figure it out, then put it all back together. I took everying apart, including the trigger assembly, cleaned and very lightly oiled it. The oil in it was a bit tacky (no rust or crud) so it may work now. It is a little tricky to get back together, just takes some finesse, not complicated. Thank heavens for youtube.
If this doesn't work I'll hand it over to an expert. I just have a bit of a drive to where I can shoot it and see if i fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Chixfishing said:
I didn't want to spend a lot on a chicken gun and I quite liked it up to now. I never missed a bird with it and I could carry t around all day. Way more comfortable than either of my 12 ga Browning shottys for a hike.
It's a good lesson in having to take it all apart and figure it out, then put it all back together. I took everying apart, including the trigger assembly, cleaned and very lightly oiled it. The oil in it was a bit tacky (no rust or crud) so it may work now. It is a little tricky to get back together, just takes some finesse, not complicated. Thank heavens for youtube.
If this doesn't work I'll hand it over to an expert. I just have a bit of a drive to where I can shoot it and see if i fixed the issue.
Before anything else, I'd try another brand of shells. "Borrow" a couple from a friend and give them a try. Years ago I had a batch of Remington shells that wouldn't fire in my shotty...or my friend's.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
dmeats44 said:
Interesting! The 870 has been the go-to shotgun for North American law enforcement officers for decades due to its resilience! Always works, easy to rip out a dud, reverse shell, empty hull. Easy to take apart and clean. You must have your firearms mixed up as the 870 is THE most versatile pump out there!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've a good friend in Upstate New York who guides waterfowl hunters, and has been doing so for 20+ years...he, and all of his guides use the 870 because of their reliability...he's even had to use his as a canoe paddle on occassion....cleaned it out...still goes bang when he pulls the trigger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fixed! Just needed a good cleaning, I guess. I hardly use it but the oil can get old and gummy, not just fouled up from excess use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts