Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any thoughts or opinions on this gun would be apprecited, looked at one on the weekend and they look pretty solid.

·
Registered
530 Posts
buddy has one they are a nice gun but his jams or is very hard to cycle with some clay shells (Winchesters mainly)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
brettwilby said:
buddy has one they are a nice gun but his jams or is very hard to cycle with some clay shells (Winchesters mainly)
I don't understand. :? why a pump action would be hard to cycle with any type of shell...auto loaders yea, but pumps???

·
Registered
530 Posts
let me explain. Shell in chamber, fire the shot, then to pump the gun its like the shell doesn't want to eject like the brass expanded and is stuck in there. Some times it takes considerable force to cycle the next shell,it feels like pulling a plug. This happens lots with the winchesters you get from cantire but only in his gun the rest of us don't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Brett. There could be several things causing the malfunction. I'd suggest a trip to a compitent gunsmith to sort it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem with my Weatherby PA-08, also with cheap crappytire winchesters that a friend gave me. They didn't have any problems with a couple of old wingmasters they had. No problems with Federal shells I've used, just the Winchesters.

Cheers

-Dusty

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There is a good chance they are reloaded shells... I had some (can't remember what brand) that jammed up on me as well...

There is nothing wrong with a 870!!! By far the best most tried tested and true pump action out there... Benelli may be a close second but lets wait and see if they are still flawless 30 or 40 years from now!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Patty, what do you mean reloaded shells? New ones? Never heard of that before.
Not trying to derail this any more than has already happened. Cabela's sale just ended Sunday.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think so, the only other reasonable explanation is really weak brass, that really shouldn't expand that much to begin with... I had issues with my 11-87 shooting skeet one time got frustrated, finally switched to the 870 and still had a hard time getting them to extract properly... Exact same situation as Brett described... One gun doing it I would assume that it would be a chamber issue, two guns has to be a shell issue... This was probably close to ten years ago and I can't remember if they were Winchester shells or not... With the auto it seemed like it was actually pulling the extractor off the rim, just tight with the pump... Now these were both Remington guns so, in theory maybe they have tighter tolerances in their chambers than other manufacturers??? But the two guns were manufactured about 40yrs apart so.....

Back on topic... You can't go wrong with a 870!!! Are you looking at a 3 1/2"???

PM sent!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its down to this or the supernova for me, like the price tag on this one a bit better but that supernova, only word i can use is "Comfortable". but as people have said this is tried and true, few guys ive talked to are pushing me towards the 870

·
Registered
78 Posts
The question is, does the Supernova feel more comfortable than an 870? If so, I'd go with the Supernova.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Remington has been getting a bad rap lately, it's sounding like they are letting the quality slide, word is the nova is the better gun. Buddy got one and really likes it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Buy the gun that fits you the best, buy the best gun you can afford. Don't let other people tell you what gun to buy, you are the one that is going to be shooting it. When it comes to a shotgun you point it not aim it so the gun need to fit you and only you. My 2 cents is the Supernova is night and day better than any Remington!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmeats44 said:
Buy the gun that fits you the best, buy the best gun you can afford. Don't let other people tell you what gun to buy, you are the one that is going to be shooting it. When it comes to a shotgun you point it not aim it so the gun need to fit you and only you. My 2 cents is the Supernova is night and day better than any Remington!!!

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Old thread but...
The issue with the sticking Winchester shells is a well known one (has to do with the metal base expanding) and not limited to only Remington guns.
If you're looking for bulk target loads, go with the Federal Top Gun.
Sometimes polishing the chamber will help alleviate the problem as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found the nova to be more comfortable also, went that route and have shot a lot of shells out of mine (almost every day a couple months prior to season)all kinds of skeet shot (Winchesters included) to 3 1/2" black clouds never had a jam. I think the nova is pretty bullet proof defiantly have used mine. Had it 8 years or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts