Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your feelings, if any, toward the various big game record books out there, like Boone & Crockett, Safari Club International, etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
They are a good thing records should be kept but the real judge of a deer is the guy who kills it and if your proud of it its a good one i once belly crawled 400 yards to take a doe it took almost 2 hours through wet fresh cut hay no antlers but what a thrill i had no cover except keeping my face in the dirt, moving slow and freezing for minuets on end when she looked at me ( i guess she thought i was a big slug :lmao: )

·
Banned
216 Posts
Don't mind them (not big on SCI) the "deductions" at scoring always bugged me and always will.
It's like punishing the head for growing bone.....stupid. Gross score is cool.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SCI system doesn't have any deductions.

·
Banned
216 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
The SCI system doesn't have any deductions.
Yeah, but they accept any animal no matter where or how it was shot (high fence, growth hormone fed "trophies")
Their "estate " category is a joke.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you are into records they are great, I just love hunting and don't care about breaking any records or attaining some "standard". Does can be trophies too or small bucks, might be a bigger accomplishment than sitting over a bait pile and shooting a deer with a rifle. But it's a good thing for guys that want their name in a record book.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use them as a reference to find out what area trophies are being taken in, and since I take some guided hunts, I can find out who the outfitters/guides are that are taking good trophies.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
The books give a reference. There are areas where a whitetail will have a hard time growing big bone even with good genetics. I really have reservations about all the food plot stuff I see on Wild TV and the resulting racks. The buck management that has been taking place within fences and on big ranches is creating an unnatural standard. When you take a buck that you know is a true trophy for your part of the country, that is what counts and it is a different standard. It is supposed to be about the challenge of the hunt that counts, not necessarily rack size. The term fair chase comes to mind here and IMO it's a good term. As I get older I seem to be after the bigger rack myself and most of the reason is that these are almost always much smarter deer. You have to be much smarter as well to succeed. There is nothing more gratifying than to do your scouting, target an area or animal and then "wander" into his back yard and see him before he sees you. When that thrill is gone, likely my desire to hunt will be too.
Most importantly, hunters should not criticize other hunters for the legal methods they choose to pursue their game even if they don't personally care for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
X2! hey snomad, is that pic of the buck with the flst brow tines that me and Paul helped you drag out a few years back?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
That's the one Jason. You need to post the pics of your last one up there. We just need to keep those spots very secret though..... ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ya, i've only got pics from it hanging in my garage, my phone was dead and paul forgot his camera that weekend.
but i should put that first on with the really wide rack that i got mounted up

·
Registered
295 Posts
will do, and yes... those spots are gonna be ours for a long time! so long as the wolves don't run us out completely :cool:

·
Banned
216 Posts
snomad said:
Most importantly, hunters should not criticize other hunters for the legal methods they choose to pursue their game even if they don't personally care for it.
Well, it's a little more complex than that. When some of these so called "hunters" whom I don't mind at all to criticize, shoot high fenced pen raised, just let out in front of them from the cage, drugged, animals for them to "harvest" from their lodge's porch for a fee (they even line the cages up for you to choose) to say that this disgusting activities (can't call it hunting) do a lot of harm for hunting and for the honest hunting crowd would be an understatement.
These practices have risen a lot of anti hunting sentiment even amongst folks who weren't against hunting prior, not to mention the ammunition it puts constantly in animal protection groups, or numb nut anti hunting organizations hands......making all of us look bad of course in every bodies eyes.
Any record keeping organization where "fair chase" is ignored or being made a mockery of, it's very bad for hunting and the perception of it. Very sad and shameful.

For a fee in sheep country the guides run up a Stone, or Bighorn the mountain, they call the "hunter" who is in the town nearby, flies up with a helicopter lands, lines up and shoots it, takes pictures then off he goes. Hunting?....right!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I guess my point was just not to be adding us to the anti's numbers. Divided we fall. I agree with your points and don't care to be lumped into that "group" by the public but we are. The problem is no one is showing the distinction between harvesting and fair chase hunting. As I mentioned in a previous post I don't hold a great deal of reverence for the record books because they are being skewed particularly by activities like food plots. I do hesitate to criticize those activities for the reasons I gave. If the anti's are disgusted by penned hunts then someone should run them through a slaughterhouse to see what harvesting is really about. The only difference there is we don't shoot our cattle in the field. The big question is why would someone want to have a "hunt" like that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts