Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on which types of recoil pads are better or what you find works good would be great. I'm looking to put one on my sako a7 300 wsm before moose hunting season. The gun kicks like an angry donkey. Sighting it in is hard on the shoulder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had bought a Limbsaver recoil pad for my bolt action .30-06 that kicked quite a bit. When I installed it on the rifle I discovered that the extra length of the recoil pad made it very difficult to quickly get the scope into full view. So I took it off as I only use the bolt action for cold weather anyways and my hunting parka will take care of the extra kick over my semi-auto.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I've had both Pachmayr and Simms Limbsavers and the latter wins IMO. With either you might have to shorten a stock but with the A7 I don't think so. If that A7 has the same type of factory pad on it as the Tikka T3 it will only increase the length of pull slightly. I've done this with 2 T3's no problem. Limbsaver has a lot of choices for pre-fit pads for many gun types so there is no custom fitting either. The Remington R3 is the same pad.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
yup, custom fit limbsaver (or pach decellerator as second choice) is the way to go - put one on my T3 300wsm (along with some lead weight in the stock) and it helped a lot. The limbsaver was a perfect fit right out of the package.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well think tomorow night will be a trip into city to cabelas or wholesale for a limbsaver. I'm sure the A7 isn't much different then the T3 so sounds like its been good for everyone that replied. Thanks guys for all the info, sure nice getting different feed backs or suggestions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have shoulder troubles so got a Past Recoil shield for sighting in. It makes it very pleasant to shoot from a bench, and the very few shots I take hunting doesen't matter that I don't have it on.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
chrism said:
yup, custom fit limbsaver (or pach decellerator as second choice) is the way to go - put one on my T3 300wsm (along with some lead weight in the stock) and it helped a lot. The limbsaver was a perfect fit right out of the package.
Good choices there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went with the limbsaver. Went out to the range yesterday to get gun ready for moose hunting. All I can say is wow!!!! What a bid difference it made. Was able to fire off 10 shots and still feel my shoulder. Thanks guys for all the feed back and info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts