Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little early but lets try to "rate the rut " in our areas. How are the Deer behaving in your neck of the woods. Lets try to keep guys abreast of the Deer activity as it happens could really help those guys with only a few days a season.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Saw a real big buck chasing a doe last weekend in the fading light. Probably wont see that deer ever again for its whole life. Rut wont occur for a while yet (a month or more) but they tend to chase a little "just for fun" it seems during september and october.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There is the odd doe that will come into estrous early, usually dry does... Seen full out chasing as early as the first week of October... I would say the peak of the rut in southern MB is probably six weeks away... northern areas probably will be about one or two weeks earlier in my experience...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hunt southern mb and usually early to mid November is peak of the rut. And a word of caution if there is anyone using estorus scents for the first time keep that stuff at least 20 or 30 yards from your blind. I learnt last season that those buck will try to join you in your blind if it's within 10 feet of it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lasted ten mins.
Standoffish , skiddish, bout the same luck I get " Down Boy, come back when your sobber" :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ruttin activity! Gotta love it

I would say the rut is full on. First time I have seen either of these bucks. I found a big rub and scrape about 15 yards from the camera. Things are lookin up!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Ruttin activity! Gotta love it

I am hoping that you are right Wanna40. There has not been much action where I have been hunting. If the rain will stop and the temps drop, it could be game on. Great pic as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Far from the rut yet. Establishing dominance, sparring and general scraping and rubbing all come before the rut. Deer dont waste time fighting when they can be ****ing.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Ya in my experience...rut doesn't come until mid Nov....they will be setting territories and seeing whats around right now....kinda like flirting before hitting the bar...

I am hoping the rut isn't until mid-late Nov as thats when my hunt is planned!

·
Registered
401 Posts

It has typically been the 2nd week of general season where I hunt. Usually don't get any big boys on the cams during the day until the 19th thru till about the 23rd or 24th.

I hope it is the same this year as I am going to hunt hard from the 18th until the 25th.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts