Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and got myself a versatile pointer pup, a GLP. I've had flushing dogs before but this is my first pointer. There are a few training books that have been recommended that I was looking for. Would anyone have copies of Joan Bailey's "How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves" and "How to Have the Best Trained Gun Dog" they would sell? I'm also looking for "The Training and Care of the Versatile Gun Dog", sometimes called "The Green Book" from the NAVHDA? How about Paul Long’s "Training Pointing Dogs"? Does anyone have a recommendation on other training books?
I was also wondering if there are any active gun dog training clubs in Manitoba? Is there somewhere to get some birds for training? I've searched the forum and there are some older posts, but I was hoping for the latest info.
I'm located in the Powerview-Pine Falls area. Are you a local dog owner that might be interested in training together or just get our dogs together to socialize? Thanks very much,

·
Registered
153 Posts
I trained two Black Labs using a book called Water Dog by Richard Wolters. Very easy reading with consistent reference to what the dog is thinking through the training. Very common sense based. His methodology worked great for me. He also has a book for upland dogs called Gun Dog. I have not picked it up but I would recommend having a look at it. His focus is not only on training a good hunting partner but also creating a great family member. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Quickkill. I have had labs and a springer before and Wolters's Water Dog is on my shelf. I don't recall seeing his Gun Dog, but I'll look for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
congrats on the dog.
Are you prepping for the full on Deutsch Langhaar JGHV training as well?
I have a drahthaar and we could meet up sometime.
I used the Armbruster training manual (old school), my experience with a willful pyr and picking up the phone to my breeder and a couple club people.

AppoloRhea is for sure i think the most active person on the forum

Google Igor and pheasants for birds and or watch kijiji, sometimes you will see pigeons for sale.

PM me

enjoy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats on the pup. I have several books i don't think I ever really read and could find you pigeons if you need. If you want to keep some quail perhaps we could work something out as I have a young setter i'm currently training.

There is a face book page for pointing dogs, most of the active gun dog clubs are for labs.

PM me if you want to chat dogs. I'm not always active online but I'm always training my dogs or scouting for birds.

Reactions: Lars

·
Registered
488 Posts
Good timing on this thread! I have recently gotten a DD and am looking for support and partners to train with. I live on a small farm and will be getting pigeons soon, both shooters and homers. I have some training equipment. I’m in Grosse Isle.

Reactions: Lars

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good timing on this thread! I have recently gotten a DD and am looking for support and partners to train with. I live on a small farm and will be getting pigeons soon, both shooters and homers. I have some training equipment. I’m in Grosse Isle.
nice pick. Drop me a PM.
JGHV test/breeding system gives us pups that are ultra pre wired for task. For me the anyways, the testing helped give some structure to where I thought I needed to be at a given time.
Anyone with JGHV pup may want to consider joining the Drahthaar Canada club. Training writeups and so on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is a link to Igor's Pheasantry.

I have not been by for a couple years but they make a nice addition to your training. Also if you are considering hunting ND, SD, SK, AB or wtvr.
Good news, at least last time I asked MB wildlife, is that pheasant aren't considered an MB game bird.
If you pick up pheasant, make sure you have a suitable cage. Not a Rubbermaid bin like I did. Damn things almost killed me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts