Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ducks: 3" #3 Geese: 3" BB
Kent Fasteel or Winchester Xperts. Both pattern well in my Benelli M2.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i wouldn't use BB for geese over decoys there going to be at less than 50 yards i always use #2 or even better#3 heavy shot for geese over decoys and only use BB for when i flight geese ( think you guys call it pass shooting) you get much better patterns with the smaller shot and believe it or not less wounded birds ok a BB will put 4 or 5 big deep holes but if they are not in a vital area the bird will only be wounded where as with #2 or#3 you are much more likely to hit a vital and get a clean kill

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used Black Cloud for a year but got tired of shot up birds. It's wad design makes for a very tight pattern suitable for longer ranges but not great over decoys. Birds centered in the pattern were getting pretty blown up. I also found it not very responsive to a more open choke and a very dirty shot.
They have now come up with a Short Range Black Cloud designed for use over decoys that is comprised of only the cutter style pellets and a different wad design.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Don't do much goose hunting any more, but for ducks I use Kent Fast Steel #2 if over decoys, and Black Cloud #4 for pass shooting.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have number 4 in the gun first thing in the morning and switch over to 2's later on in the day.
number 4's on birds inside 25 yards are deadly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts